If you are just beginning your bar exam preparation, you may wonder where to find sample bar exam multiple-choice questions. Here, we list a few resources so that you can see what real multistate bar exam (MBE) questions look like and prepare for the multiple-choice portion of the bar exam!
Where to Find Sample Bar Exam Multiple-Choice Questions
1. Free questions released by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE)
Nothing beats free! If you are just looking to get your feet wet and see what MBE questions look like, the fastest way to see realistic MBE questions is to head to the NCBE website. If you scroll down to the “Sample Tests” section you will see a link to 21 sample bar exam multiple-choice questions (these are “mixed” questions from all seven subjects). You will also see a link to 10 civil procedure sample test questions. (If you want to see the answer explanations for the civil procedure questions, check out this link where you can view them or download them.)
Note that these NCBE-released questions are a much more realistic gauge of what you will see on the MBE than questions written by commercial courses. Even the most popular commercial courses oftentimes do not offer real MBE questions as part of their standard package. (Tip: If the commercial course does not advertise that they offer released MBE questions, they probably don’t! You will notice that the vast majority of courses do not advertise it, and unfortunately, many students do not know to ask these courses whether they offer real MBE questions. Most students simply wrongfully assume that they do.)
2. NCBE questions that you have to pay for!
If you are looking for more than just 31 questions, the next best source is questions released by the NCBE. Unfortunately, these aren’t free! We offer real MBE questions on our website. You can also read this post on where else you can find real MBE questions. There are books and online platforms that contain them. These are semi-pricey but they are worth it.
3. Our MBE Tips series!
Lastly, if you are looking to answer MBE questions and see exactly how to dissect MBE answers, consider signing up for our MBE tips series! Our MBE tips series does not contain released MBE questions as that is not permitted pursuant to the policy set forth by the NCBE. However, we do create questions that test the same principles that you will find in the real questions.
You can view all of the past posts in our series below . You can also sign up to receive them 1-2x/week in your email inbox! If you want to sign up, just click on any of the posts below and scroll to the bottom (Our MBE tips series begins when the bar exam administration starts – so, in May for July takers, and ends as soon as the bar exam is over!)
Show MBE tips
- MBE Strategies: Day 1 – Torts (negligence)–and how to approach MBE questions.
- MBE Strategies: Day 2 – Criminal Law (homicide) — and learning through “wrong” answers.
- MBE Strategies: Day 3 — Evidence (hearsay) –and memorizing the details!
- MBE Strategies: Day 4 – Contracts and Sales – and spending time on the subjects that are difficult for you.
- MBE Strategies: Day 5 – Real Property (future interests) – and spending time on the highly-tested areas of law.
- MBE Strategies: Day 6 – Civil Procedure (summary judgment) – and eliminating incorrect answers.
- MBE Strategies: Day 7: Constitutional Law (political question, standing) – and how to answer a question correctly when you are in between two choices.
- MBE Strategies: Day 8: Evidence (hearsay, best evidence rule) – and why it is good to fine-tune your knowledge of the “red herring” areas of the law.
- MBE Strategies: Day 9: Torts (conversion) – and where to get actual released MBE questions!
- MBE Strategies: Day 10: Criminal Procedure (5th Amendment) – and how to pick between two answer choices.
- MBE Strategies: Day 11: Contracts (contract formation) – and what to do if you “overthink” questions.
- MBE Strategies: Day 12: Real Property (deed delivery) – and jotting out the fact pattern.
- MBE Strategies: Day 13: Civil Procedure (jurisdiction) – and “bringing it all together”.
- MBE Strategies: Day 14: Constitutional Law (taxing and spending) – and why to answer more Constitutional Law and Civil Procedure questions.
- MBE Strategies: Day 15: Constitutional Law (powers of congress) – and how to get better at Constitutional law questions.
- MBE Strategies: Day 16: Criminal Procedure (exclusionary rule) – and paying attention to the call of the question.
- MBE Strategies: Day 17: Evidence (character evidence) – and how to tell a civil case from a criminal case (and why it matters!).
- MBE Strategies: Day 18: Real Property (joint tenancy) – and how to get more Real Property questions right!
- MBE Strategies: Day 19: Civil Procedure (JAAMOL) – and how to learn Civil Procedure.
- MBE Strategies: Day 20: Torts (joint and several liability) – and tips on MBE default rules.
- MBE Strategies: Day 21: Evidence (hearsay) – and the importance of memorizing the law!
- MBE Strategies: Day 22: Contracts (formation) – and why you should not ignore the written portion of the bar exam!
- MBE Strategies: Day 23: Criminal Law and Procedure (and the importance of mens rea).
- MBE Strategies: Day 24: Constitutional Law (equal protection) – and the importance of writing incorrect answers down!
- MBE Strategies: Day 25: Civil Procedure (impleader) – and free released NCBE questions!
- MBE Strategies: Day 26: Real Property (future interests) – and learning the highly tested MBE topics.
- MBE Strategies: Day 27: Torts (intentional torts) – and the importance of learning rule statements.
- MBE Strategies: Day 28: Evidence (impeachment) – and how to keep impeachment, character evidence, etc. straight!
- MBE Strategies: Day 29: Criminal Procedure (line-ups) – and how charts can help you keep the 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendment straight!
- MBE Strategies: Day 30: Contracts (revocation of acceptance of goods) – and how finding patterns in your answer sheet can improve your score.
- MBE Strategies: Day 31: Constitutional Law (public v. private forum) – and last-minute MBE tips.
- MBE Strategies: Day 32: Torts (premises liability) – and eliminating incorrect statements of law.
- MBE Strategies: Day 33: Criminal Law (robbery) – and knowing your state vs. MBE distinctions.
- MBE Strategies: Day 34: Real Property (priority and recording acts) – and writing answers to the questions.
- MBE Strategies: Day 35: Torts (comparative negligence, joint and several liability) – and learning the theories behind the laws.
- MBE Strategies: Day 36: Contracts and Sales (recovering the purchase price) – and creating a timeline of events when answering MBE questions.
- MBE Strategies: Day 37: Constitutional Law (1st Amendment) – and making a diagram as you study.
- MBE Strategies: Day 38: Evidence (extrinsic evidence) – and learning the definitions of basic legal terms.
- MBE Strategies: Day 39: Civil Procedure (motion to dismiss) – and creating a timeline of the judicial process while studying.
- MBE Strategies: Day 40: Real Property (present and future interests) – and the importance of grammar.
- MBE Strategies: Day 41: Torts (battery) – and paying close attention to the call of the question.
- MBE Strategies: Day 42: Criminal Procedure (4th Amendment) – and why you shouldn’t skip straight to the narrow rules.
- MBE Strategies: Day 43: Criminal Law (burglary) – and why you need to know the elements of crimes!
- MBE Strategies: Day 44: Contracts and Sales (damages) – and answering the question in your head first.
- MBE Strategies: Day 45: Constitutional Law (interstate commerce and equal protection) – and paying attention to which entity is attempting to act.
- MBE Strategies: Day 46: Evidence (impeachment) — and how to identify the applicable evidentiary rule.
- MBE Strategies: Day 47: Civil Procedure (full faith and credit clause and preclusion) – and newly released NCBE civil procedure questions.
- MBE Strategies: Day 48: Civil Procedure (removal) – and understanding the policies behind the rules.
- MBE Strategies: Day 49: Real Property (eviction) – and the importance of paying attention to details!
- MBE Strategies: Day 50: Torts (trespass) – and categorizing torts
If you have any questions about where to find sample bar exam multiple-choice questions, please feel free to comment below!
Looking for MBE Help?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star MBE course that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Free popular bar exam guides (an MBE guide, a guide on how to pass the bar exam, and a guide to hiring a bar exam tutor) written by bar exam experts!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand Bar Exam Course
- Our NEW MBE Mastery Class, which covers 35 recently released MBE questions in an engaging and helpful way to help you boost your MBE score!
- MBE private tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MBE.
- Real MBE questions —the best practice questions available!
- An MBE guide, which has a guaranteed 7-point score increase.
You can read more about our MBE services here.