How to Succeed in Law School Guide: Introduction and Table of Contents
In this guide, we discuss how to succeed in law school. Law school is very different than undergrad. The teaching style is different, the homework is different, the grading is different, and the exams are different! So having a time-tested strategy can make a huge difference between excelling in law school or merely being average.
Unfortunately, nobody tells you how to succeed in law school once you get there. Professors do not tell you what to focus on. You are just thrown into your classes and given a lot of work from the beginning! So, we have taken it upon ourselves to create a comprehensive—and free—guide on how to succeed in law school.
This guide was written by a #1 law student and the strategies found within this guide have helped thousands of pre-law students and law students excel in law school.
Starting law school in the fall of 2022? Text keyword 1L2022 to 844-764-2111 to receive monthly texts with law school tips for 1Ls! As a bonus, you’ll receive a 30 day free trial of our Law School Study Aids!
NEW!: if you would like to sign up for our free law school prep course, you can enroll here!
Send me a PDF of the guide:
This guide is divided into four parts:
We introduce you to the guide and give you an overview of how to succeed in law school.
- Introduction and table of contents for the guide (this page)
- An overview of how to succeed in law school
Part 1: 1L Basics—What is IL Year?
Here, we tell you what classes you will take, how law school is different from college, and why the first year of law school matters so much.
- Overview of 1L year: What classes will I take my first year of law school?
- Why does the first year of law school matter so much?
- What are the differences between the first year of law school and college?
- What law school supplies do I need to succeed in law school?
- Just for fun! Top 10 Latin words for law students
Part 2: How to Succeed on Law School Final Exams
We give you an overview of how to succeed on law school final exams, and detailed guidance on each step (outlining, learning your outlines, and exam-taking strategies). We also give you guidance on how to create a law school study schedule.
- Law school success: the theory
- Step 1: outline
- Step 2: memorize your outlines
- Step 3: take practice exams
- Step 4: make an effective law school study schedule
Part 3: Other Important Law School Skills
Here, we go through other important law school skills. We tell you how to read and brief cases, how to prepare for class, how to survive the Socratic method, and why networking is important in law school!
- How to prepare for class in law school
- Socratic method
- Networking in law school
Part 4: Law Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Other Resources
Here, we answer some of your frequently asked questions and point you to additional helpful law school resources!