The JD Advising Scholars Program was instrumental to my early success in law school. I was not only assigned a tutor, but I was also given study aids, invited to exclusive networking events, and paired with a mentor from Skadden (who sponsored my scholarship). By leveraging these resources, I finished my first semester of law school with grades substantially higher than the median in my class. Additionally, the strong connection I had with my mentor, along with my grades, ultimately helped me secure a 1L summer associate position with Skadden in their Los Angeles office! I truly believe that if it wasn’t for the JD Advising Scholars program, I wouldn’t be where I am today.
JD Advising’s Scholars Program
We want to help promote diversity in law school and get students off on the right foot! Our Scholars Program is here to help!
JD Advising Scholars Program Details
For those who are selected for the JD Advising Scholars program, you get the following, free of charge:
- 10 hours of one-on-one tutoring before and throughout the first semester of law school (valued at over $2,000!)
- JD Advising One-Sheets
- JD Advising law school study aids (outlines, flashcards, short-answer questions, multiple-choice questions, and more!)
- An opportunity to connect with law firms, attorneys, and judges!
Please apply below. To apply to the program, you must submit:
- A completed application,
- Your resume,
- Transcripts from both undergraduate and any graduate degrees (an official or unofficial copy is fine),
- Proof of acceptance into law school,
- A 2-minute video telling us about yourself, your ability to bring a diverse perspective to law school as a result of your adaptability, cultural fluency, resilience, and life experiences; and, your demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in your perspectives or experiences. If you have circumstances that prevent you from submitting a video, then an essay addressing the same topic is acceptable in it’s place.
- All successful candidates are required to complete the free online Law School Prep Course by August 15th to matriculate into the program. Applicants are encouraged to begin the course at their convenience and may complete it at any time.
In order to be eligible for the JD Advising Scholars Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be an incoming first-year student enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school’s J.D. program for Fall 2024
- Must have a minimum of either a 3.0 undergraduate GPA or a 160 LSAT score
- Must identify as a member of an underrepresented racial, ethnic, or gender group, a member of the LGBTQ community, or an individual with a disability, or demonstrate a history of commitment to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility.
Applications for 2024 are now open! Please click here to apply.
Interviews will be extended on a rolling basis beginning in the spring. The priority deadline for the program is May 15, 2024. The final deadline for the program is July 1, 2024. Decisions of admission be sent via email starting in June 2024.
This program is open to all students.