The Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition Review
**This post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission when you click on the link. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
We wanted to provide a review of the Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition. (Commission earned when you click on the link. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.)
The Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition Review
We were fans of the Sixth Edition of Strategies and Tactics for the MBE. (For a while, even purchased it for all of our course students before switching to a platform that gave about four times as many questions and was online so allowed for automatic scoring!)
We were excited when the Seventh Edition came out. However, this book has pros and cons, which we’ll discuss below.
Pros of the Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition
The pros of the Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition include the following:
- It is a paper book. The MBE is going to be administered on paper (at least for the next few years). So it is helpful to practice on the kind of test you’ll be given – and that is on paper! (A related con is that it is very bulky and difficult to carry around! So if you are the kind of person that likes to answer questions on the go, this book may not be right for you.) (I am personally old-fashioned and prefer paper books/exams to answering questions online!)
- It is relatively inexpensive. It is about $90. This is less than most released question platforms, which typically start at no less than $300. So it is a good way to save money but still get access to released questions. It is definitely much better than not answering any released questions at all!
Cons of the Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition
The cons of the Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition include the following:
- The main downside is the number of questions. This book only has 541 released questions (with a total of only 30 released Civil Procedure questions – so not many!). This is much better than answering zero released questions. So if it is this book or nothing, get this book! However, most other real MBE question sources have significantly more than 541 released questions. (Our Qbank, for example, has close to 2,000.)
- Since Civil Procedure can be tricky on the MBE, it is a good idea to get more than 30 released questions. Especially since many course-invented questions don’t necessarily reflect the level of difficulty nor the specific nuances tested by the NCBE. The most recent exams released by the NCBE have Civil Procedure questions, so you can actually access about 100 released Civil Procedure questions total—though the Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition book only contains 30 of them!
The S&T Seventh Edition contains this many questions:
- 30 released Civil Procedure questions (with an additional 35 questions invented by them)
- 65 Constitutional Law Questions
- 65 Contracts questions
- 69 Criminal Law and Procedure questions
- 70 Evidence questions
- 70 Real Property questions
- 72 Torts questions
- 100 mixed questions (not including Civil Procedure) in the MBE Online Practice Exam (OPE) 4
There is also a practice exam of 200 simulated questions invented by them. However, these are not released questions so they are more limited in their usefulness.
Importantly, the Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition (affiliate link) also does not contain any recently released questions. It does not contain any questions from 2020 or 2022. The most recent practice exam (MBE OPE 4) that it does include is from prior to 2015 so it does not include Civil Procedure. A final practice exam without Civil Procedure is simply not nearly as useful as purchasing recently released questions that contain Civil Procedure. Indeed, the recently released questions more accurately reflect the formatting and difficulty of the MBE exam you are likely to take.
In conclusion, the Strategies and Tactics Seventh Edition does contain released questions, so it is better than not doing any released questions at all. (Commission earned when you click on the link. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.) However, in general, we’d recommend other resources for practice questions, such as our MBE Qbank, which contains approximately 2,000 questions, including the most recently released MBE questions.
Looking for MBE Help?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star MBE course that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Free popular bar exam guides (an MBE guide, a guide on how to pass the bar exam, and a guide to hiring a bar exam tutor) written by bar exam experts!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand Bar Exam Course
- Our NEW MBE Mastery Class, which covers 35 recently released MBE questions in an engaging and helpful way to help you boost your MBE score!
- MBE private tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MBE.
- Real MBE questions —the best practice questions available!
- An MBE guide, which has a guaranteed 7-point score increase.
You can read more about our MBE services here.