How to Start Studying for the Uniform Bar Exam Early: If you are taking the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE), you may wonder how you can start studying for the Uniform Bar Exam early. Many students want to start early for a variety of reasons. Maybe you did not do well in law school. Maybe you graduated from law school several years ago so are not as “tuned up” on the law. Or maybe you are just anxious about the bar exam and want to make sure you pass it the first time you take it!
One way to help maximize your chances of passing the Uniform Bar Exam is to start studying early. There are a few ways to start studying early. In this post, we list five ways!
How to Start Studying for the Uniform Bar Exam Early!
First and foremost, sign up for our free early bar prep!
Our email campaign will give you a great bar exam tip once a week. We will be sending out our absolute best tips! Read more about our Early Bar Prep here. This is a great way to start studying early because you will get regular and consistent emails with bar exam tips!
Second, focus on learning the law—preferably the highly tested areas of law.
Many students want to dive right into answering multiple-choice questions, but that is not the best way to start studying for the Uniform Bar Exam early. There is no point in answering a bunch of questions before you actually learn the law. Instead, focus on learning the law first.
The most highly tested areas of law on the Uniform Bar Exam are the multistate bar exam (MBE) subjects. These are tested on both the MBE (there are 25 multiple-choice questions on each) and the written portion of the bar exam (where you may see an essay question on them). So if you are studying for the Uniform Bar Exam early and want to maximize your study time, focus on these subjects:
- Real Property
- Contracts & Sales
- Criminal Law & Criminal Procedure
- Civil Procedure
- Constitutional Law
These are very important subjects to learn well! You can purchase lecture handouts online or you can use whatever good, thorough outlines you can get your hands on. (You can even start with bar exam private tutoring if you like – we have several students that start early and we will give you the best outlines tailored to the UBE!)
The less tested (but still important!) subjects are the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) subjects. These include:
- Secured Transactions
- Family Law
- Decedents’ Estates
- Business Associattions: Corporations & LLCs; Agency & Partnership
- Conflict of Laws
These are important but not as important as the MBE subjects above because they are only tested on the written portion (and you may not see some of these subjects nearly as often as others!)
Third, look at some Multistate Essay Exam essays!
The multistate essay exam essays are important to look at and become familiar with. Ideally, you should look at some essays after you feel comfortable with the law. But even if you look at them before you feel comfortable with the law you will notice that bar exam essays are different than law school essays! You will also notice that Multistate Essay Exam questions are different than what you may expect a law school question to look like. Examining the questions and sample answers ahead of time can be very helpful so that you understand the differences early.
Lastly, if you are really anxious to start learning the MEE law, check out our super highly regarded MEE One-Sheets. These one-sheets tell you the highly tested areas of law in one sheet, front and back.
Fourth, learn how to dissect MBE questions and get a good approach to MBE questions generally.
Another great way to do this is to sign up for our free(!) MBE series. We dissect a question once to twice a week. You can see a sample here and sign up to receive our MBE strategies tips right to your inbox. You can sign up here:
Show sign-up form...
MBE Tip of the Day
One other important thing you can also do if you want to boost your chances of passing the MBE is to get real MBE questions! And get them sooner rather than later! Many students mistakenly believe that their commercial course offers real MBE questions when most, in fact, do not! (We are one of the few that do!) It is not too expensive to get real MBE questions so get them sooner rather than later!
Fifth, practice Multistate Performance Tests (MPTs)!
If you want to start studying for the Uniform Bar Exam early this is one thing you can do right away! In fact, it is one thing you can master right away!! It requires no knowledge of the law and instead it requires developing the proper skill set to answer MPT questions.
Many students do not take the MPT seriously but it is worth 20% of your score in a UBE jurisdiction, so you will have a huge advantage if you take it seriously and prepare well. If you want to dive into MPTs, do the following:
- Start by looking at our MPT frequency chart, which will give you an overview of what is tested and how often.
- Second, look at our MPT attack outlines for each type of MPT! This also links to other tips about the MPT. This will give you a general overview of how to approach the MPT.
- Third, practice MPTs! You can find a list of free MPT practice questions here. You also may want to consider purchasing an electronic or hard copy of our MPT books. We are biased but these are honestly a one-of-a-kind resource. There is no other resource besides our MPT books that we know of that has the question, model answer, and a sample student answer all in one place!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!