You may be wondering which subjects are most highly tested on the multistate essay exam. In this post, we tell you that – which you can also see based on the chart above. (You can find a most updated UBE chart here, if it is post-July 2018 when you are reading this!)
MEE Frequency Analysis – Study smart for the Multistate Essay Exam
Here are a few things to be aware of:
- On most exams, you will see Agency & Partnership or Corporations (and occasionally both)
- On most exams, you will see Civil Procedure — however, Civil Procedure has appeared less recently (likely because the Examiners added it to the multistate bar exam in 2015). We expect to see Civil Procedure less in coming years!)
- Conflicts of Law is not heavily tested and, according to the NCBE, is always combined with another subject. It tends to be tested in pairs (e.g. Feb 2012/July 2012, and Feb 2017/July 2017)
- The MBE subjects, besides Civil Procedure, are somewhat evenly tested, with Criminal Law and procedure being slightly less-tested.
- Generally, Wills or Trusts is tested (and in July 2017, they were combined, which was unusual).
- The MEE favorite “crossovers” (e.g., where you will see two multistate essay exam subjects in one question) are Torts & Agency, Conflicts & Civil Procedure, and Criminal Procedure & Evidence.
Some students try to analyze MEE frequency by looking back 20 years, but this is not helpful since six of the above subjects (all the MBE subjects besides Civil Procedure) were just added in 2007. So, if you go back 20 years, you will find that MBE subjects are not tested as frequently. But the fact of the matter is, most exams now have between two and four MBE subjects tested on the multistate essay exam!
Other students look strictly at all of the past MEE essay exams. But, this is not as helpful either. In the past, the Examiners wrote between 7 and 9 questions for multistate essay exam jurisdictions to choose from. So, they always included, say, Family Law, just in case a jurisdiction wanted to include it. Now, they only write 6 questions. It is much more helpful to look at the six subjects the National Conference of Bar Examiners has decided to use on its exams, since these are most likely to show the NCBE’s trends in favoring certain subjects. (For example, it always wrote a Family Law question for jurisdictions to choose to put on a jurisdiction-specific MEE exam, but frequently would not use the family law question itself.) We have an MEE chart with all past essays the Examiners have distributed to jurisdictions to choose from at the link. You can see the essays that were not distributed on UBE exams in red font.
Looking for highly-tested MEE topics in a convenient page?
If you want to see the highly tested MEE topics in a convenient booklet, check out our MEE one-sheets which show you an overview of the highly-tested MEE subjects in one sheet (front and back) each!
These are for sale in our online store and have received fantastic reviews!
One student recently told us “It was the best investment I’ve made in study materials and I’ve taken two noteworthy courses. Having the condensed material to refer to what was specifically tested saved me so much time in my studying process…”
This is just one of several reviews that you can read at the MEE one-sheets link!
You can purchase the MEE one-sheets here!
Looking for MEE Help?
Taking the February 2023 bar exam? Check out our most popular products on sale here!
Free or discounted resources
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the highly tested MEE topics, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- A five-star MEE course that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these!
- NEW MEE Mastery Class, an effective and engaging way to review the highly tested areas of law on the MEE!
- MEE Feedback for those seeking substantive and organizational review of practice questions
- MEE Private Tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MEE
You can read more about our MEE services here.