Is it common to run out of time on the MPT portion of the bar exam?
We get a lot of emails after the bar exam from examinees who ran out of time on the multistate performance test (MPT) or essay portion of the bar exam. They wonder if they can still pass and if they are the only students who ran out of time on the MPT portion of the bar exam.
It is actually quite common to run out of time, or not provide a complete answer on the MPT portion of the bar exam. If you are in a Uniform Bar Exam state, you may find that this happened on the second MPT administered.
Why is it common to run out of time on the MPT portion of the bar exam?
The reasons that examinees run out of time on the MPT portion of the bar exam tend to be the following:
- Examinees do not practice MPTs ahead of time (or practice very few). This is generally because many examinees have a false sense of confidence when it comes to writing and they worry more about the MBE portion.
- Examinees practice MPTs before the bar exam but do not practice them under timed conditions.
- Examinees get stressed out on bar exam day and their anxiety causes them to lose track of time or not answer questions as efficiently.
- Examinees waste time by writing briefs to all of the cases in the library instead of actually responding to the task memo.
- Examinees do not pay attention to the task memo.
- Sleep-deprivation, anxiety, and other bar-exam-related stresses may contribute to running out of time.
These are some of the common reasons that examinees run out of time on the MPT portion, even if they don’t generally struggle with timing on exams. Many times, more than one of these factors will contribute to running out of time.
Does it mean I failed the bar exam if I ran out of time on the MPT?
No! It is quite common to run out of time on the MPT portion of the exam and it does not mean you failed the bar exam. We write more about that here.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)