If you are taking the Michigan bar exam, we have some advice for you! Here, we give you advice based on tips Michigan bar exam takers find especially helpful and common mistakes that Michigan bar exam takers make.
Advice for Michigan Bar Exam Takers
1. Make it a habit to practice essays each and every week.
The biggest mistake that Michigan bar exam takers make is that they do not practice essays! Many of them worry too much about the multiple-choice portion of the bar exam. Or, their commercial course does not assign many essays so they do not make it a habit to practice them every week. We assign 10 essays per week in our course! Even if you do not do that many, you should make it a habit to consistently practice essay exams.
2. Practice timed essay exams.
One of the hardest things about recent Michigan bar exams is that they are so long! So, part of our best advice to Michigan bar exam takers is to practice essays in a timed setting. Do this regularly. Start with answering three questions in an hour one week, then move on to answering six questions in two hours. And finally, practice answering nine questions in three hours.
3. Focus on the highly tested issues when you write essays!
There are many ways to pick out the highly tested issues. (Two ways are: you can purchase our How to Pass the Michigan Bar Exam book or you can attend a Michigan bar exam seminar!) If you don’t have additional funds to spend, you can also go through all of the past essays and pick out the highly tested issues.
Issues tend to be retested. The Board does not reinvent the exam every time. By focusing on these highly tested issues, you will be studying efficiently for this tricky part of the exam.
4. Use real MBE questions when you practice.
Don’t use questions invented by a commercial course. Most commercial courses do not offer a significant amount of real MBE questions (in fact, most do not offer any!). Make sure you are using real MBE questions when you practice. This is how you will best prepare for the MBE portion of the exam. You will be prepared for the style, format, level of difficulty, as well as the issues that the National Conference of Bar Examiners likes to test! Make sure you practice real MBE questions from the beginning of your bar prep.
We sell real MBE questions here!
5. Book your hotel room early, especially if you want to stay at the hotel connected to the exam site.
If you want to stay at the hotel connected to the exam site: If you are taking the July bar exam (at the Breslin center) you will want to stay at the Kellogg Center. If you are taking the February bar exam (at the Lansing Center), you will want to stay at the Raddison hotel.
Advantages of staying at the hotel connected to the exam site are you don’t have to worry about parking or commuting, and you can go up to your room between exam sections. Some students say it is less stressful to stay at the hotel connected to the exam center.
Others want to stay far away from the exam (and the anxious students taking the exam!). We have even heard of some students booking an Air BnB room so they could relax more on the exam days! Regardless, think about what you want to do early and book early!
Bonus Tip: Pack warm clothes!
The exam center is usually freezing cold. Do not wear sandals and shorts, even if it is 100 degrees outside. Wear pants, regular shoes, and layer up! You do not want to have to deal with being freezing cold as you try to complete the exam.
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1249.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!