A Winning MPT Strategy: Conquer the MPT!
A Winning MPT Strategy: Conquer the MPT!
If you are looking for a winning MPT strategy, then review these tips (as well as this video) for a strategy that will help you conquer the MPT. These were written by our tutor who scored in the 99th percentile on the written portion of the Uniform Bar Exam.
Remember that the MPT is a closed-universe exam–meaning, that the examiners’ provide you with all of the law and facts you need to answer the question posed. Thus, it is something that you can excel at pretty quickly if you use the right strategy.
In fact, the MPT can serve as an excellent point cushion to make sure you pass the bar exam!
A few important tips for a winning MPT strategy:
Start early! Remember that the MPT is worth 20% of your score. Therefore, the best thing you can do is set aside practice every week. As a default, we would recommend setting aside 20% of your bar prep study time to practice MPTs.
(2) Pay attention to directions!
Pay attention to the task memo. The MPT is largely a game of following directions. So, get into the habit of following your MPT instructions early on. We recommend that you pay close attention to your task memo and consistently refer to it. The examiners often tell you exactly what to talk about — and what not to talk about — in the task memo. They also tell you how to format your MPT in many cases.
Refer to your task memo multiple times while taking an MPT. This way, you will stay on task and not waste valuable time discussing something that will not earn you any points.
(3) Use a successful MPT approach.
We recommend the following approach (which you can read in even more detail here).
1.Read your task memo — which is the first document in the file. Then skip over the rest of the file (which is the facts section of your MPT).
2. Next, read your library (which contains the law) and take notes as you review your library. Take notes on your laptop. This will help save time!
3. Lastly, head back to the file and review the relevant documents. This way, you’ll save time and work more efficiently. By reading the library first and then the file, you’ll know which types of facts are important and what you’re trying to compare and contrast. You can take notes on your laptop while you do this as well.
Note: if your library only has statutes (which is rare!) then we recommend you read the file prior to the library.
Allocate about 45 minutes to working and reading and 45 minutes to completing the task and polishing it up.
(4) Pay attention to the most highly tested MPT tasks
That is, pay close attention to persuasive briefs and objective memos. These are the most highly tested tasks, as you can see in our MPT chart here.
(5) Memorize all of the highly tested task formats.
We recommend you review the proper MPT formats for all MPTs. And you can see them here.
The highly tested tasks are: objective memos, persuasive briefs, demand letters, and opinion letters.
So make sure to memorize the highly tested task formats. This is a way to gain credibility with the grader immediately. And it is a great way to feel confident on exam day.
(6) Don’t shy away from odd MPT tasks.
Wildcard tasks (or “odd tasks”) are tasks that have not been tested before — e.g., drafting provisions of a contract, a complaint, or “leave behind” legislation. The bonus of getting an “odd” task or wildcard task is that the directions are often very clear.
If you get a “wildcard” task (a task not commonly tested), then pay close attention to the task memo. It will often tell you exactly how to format such a task! Practice these wildcard tasks ahead of time!
(7) Practice timing yourself.
The biggest issue that examinees have with the MPT is timing. Many examinees regret not starting timed practice early on in their bar prep. We recommend practicing MPT tasks under timed conditions throughout bar prep. This is the best way to maximize your MPT score (as well as your chances of passing the bar exam!).
We hope that this MPT strategy and these tips serve as a good approach for getting started on studying for the MPT!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)
We also have several additional MBE, MEE, and MPT products available.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!