If you are taking the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) soon, you may be wondering how to maximize your efficiency in the time you have left. Here are some last minute UBE tips to keep you focused and make sure you are studying efficiently.
5 Essential Last Minute UBE Tips
1. Focus on the highly tested areas of the MBE.
If you are studying for the MBE at the last minute, make sure to spend your time where it matters the most! Focus on negligence. Make sure you know contract formation. Nail down hearsay and relevancy.
Don’t obsess over RAP, or present or future interests or other minutia. To see the most highly tested topics on the MBE, see this post.
2. Dissect your answers. And switch to real MBE questions if possible.
Don’t race through MBE questions, as so many students are tempted to do. Instead, slow down. Answer a question slowly. Dissect it. Figure out why you got it wrong or if you answered it correctly for the right reason. You will see issues re-tested on the bar exam so this is the absolute best way to maximize your score. It is the technique that helped me score a 180 on the MBE. Read this post on how to improve your mbe score for the exact process to do this.
If you have only been using “fake” MBE questions (e.g., those invented by Barbri or Kaplan) consider switching to real MBE questions if possible. No need to spend $400 on Adaptibar but even going on the National Conference of Bar Examiners (i.e., the NCBE, which is the organization that writes the bar exam) website and reviewing some free questions can be helpful. (E.g. get a link to ten NCBE-promulgated Civil Procedure questions here and download our answers for free.)
3. Please stop ignoring the MPT!!
So many students do not realize that the MPT is worth the same as 70 MBE questions! Now is the time to make sure you have the structure nailed down. (See our MPT formats here!) And practice a few MPTs in a timed setting if you have not already.
If you have not seriously spent time on the MPT yet, this will be the fastest way to improve your score with the time you have left.
One of the most common emails we receive after the bar exam is “the MPT was so hard…” or “I didn’t practice the MPT at all because I assumed it was easy” and (this is the most common) “I ran out of time on the MPT!” If writing is your strength, you may be tempted to ignore the MPT portion. But don’t. You can improve your MPT bar exam score and overall bar exam score dramatically with some practice!
4. Focus on the highly tested portions of the MEE.
Again, it should be no surprise that one of our last minute UBE tips is to focus on the highly tested areas of law. The best way to do this is look at what has been tested in the past. The NCBE does not come up with a totally new exam every time. Oftentimes they retest issues that have been tested in the past.
How do you figure out the highly-tested areas of law (from free to most expensive):
The free way is to go to this link on highly tested MEE topics and download our free PDF and/or watch our youtube video. We tell you the exact areas to focus on. This is 100% free and it provides a comprehensive overview!
You can also purchase our MEE one-sheets (we offer priority express or overnight delivery options).
5. Get in the right mindset to take the bar exam.
A huge component of the bar exam is mental. You have to be ready to take it. Do not envision yourself failing or running out of time or not being able to recall the law. Think positively. And get excited to take the exam! While it sounds silly, this tip can make a big difference between passing and failing.
Instead of summarizing how to get into the best mindset to take the bar exam, please read our five essential last minute bar exam tips here. We tell you exactly how to make sure you are mentally prepared for this exam!
Looking for more last minute tips?
- You can read more last minute MBE tips here! We give you a guide on how to prepare for the MBE!
- Read more last minute MEE tips here!
- Read more last minute MPT tips here!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- Bar Exam Crash Course and Mini Outlines for a helpful overview of the Uniform Bar Exam components
- MBE One-Sheets, MEE One-Sheets, MPT One-sheets CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)