Where Can I Find Past MPTs?
Where Can I Find Past MPTs?
The Multistate Performance Test (MPT) is a lawyerly exercise that requires examinees to complete a task that is outlined in the memo. It is administered by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE). In order to complete an MPT task, students must critically evaluate and analyze the information provided in the “file” and the “library.” The MPT is worth a significant percentage of an examinee’s overall score on many bar exams. If you are in a Uniform Bar Exam state, the MPT is worth 20% of the total score! So, you need to spend time developing an effective approach to it. reviewing and practicing with past MPTs is the best way to prepare. Even better, you can find past MPT questions, good student answers, and MPT point sheets for free! Read further to see the best places to look!
Where Can I Find Past MPTs?
Past MPTs and Point Sheets:
The only place online where you can find past MPTs and point sheets for free is the NCBE website. (The NCBE prohibits distributing the past MPTs and point sheets otherwise and any entity that distributes both must pay a licensing fee—which is why you won’t find point sheets anywhere for free online.)
1. The NCBE Website
The NCBE website is a great resource for past MPTs. They currently have all the MPTs from February 2013 to July 2017 available for free. Not only do they provide you with the entirety of the MPT, but they also give you the point sheet to help you score your practice. The point sheet helps you determine how well you issue-spotted, and also how well you organized your answer. You can find past MPTs from the NCBE website here:
- MPT Summaries July 2022
- MPT Summaries Feb 2022
- MPT Summaries 2021
- MPT Summaries 2020
- MPT Summaries 2019
- MPT Summaries 2018
- February 2017 past MPTs and points sheets
- July 2016 past MPTs and point sheets
- February 2016 past MPTs and point sheets
- July 2015 past MPTs and point sheets
- February 2015 past MPTs and point sheets
- July 2014 past MPTs and point sheets
- February 2014 past MPTs and point sheets
- July 2013 past MPTs and point sheets
- February 2013 past MPTs and point sheets
- July 2012 past MPTs and point sheets
- February 2012 past MPTs and point sheets
- July 2011 past MPTs and point sheets
- February 2011 past MPTs and point sheets
- July 2010 past MPTs and point sheets
- February 2010 past MPTs and point sheets
- July 2009 past MPTs and point sheets
- February 2009 past MPTs and point sheets
- July 2008 past MPTs and point sheets
Past MPTs and Student Answers:
While the NCBE does not allow states to publish the MPT questions and point sheets, many states post the MPT questions and sample or representative student answers. You should not only consult with student answers to see how well you wrote a practice MPT, but they are extremely helpful to consult for formatting purposes. The links below are where you can find MPT questions and student answers. (Note that they do not contain any point sheets!)
1. Georgia’s Bar Admissions Website
Georgia’s Bar Admissions website is a fantastic source of past MPTs. Georgia started administering the MPT in July 2011, so all the MPTs since then are on their website. In addition, they also include several high-scoring answers for you to review! These are a great way to measure how well you answer your practice MPTs.
The only downside to Georgia’s website is that they do not include the point sheets for the MPTs. The student answers on the website are exactly what a student produced in 90 minutes under testing conditions. Thus, they often do not address every issue and fact. However, they are a valuable resource for seeing what a high-scoring answer looks like! (If you want the MPT question, point sheet, and student answer in one place, consider purchasing our MPT books, discussed more below!)
- July 2022 MPT(s) and July 2022 Student Answers
- February 2022 MPT(s) and February 2022 Student Answers
- July 2021 MPT(s) and July 2021 Student Answers
- February 2021 MPT(s) and February 2021 Student Answers
- October 2020 MPT(s) and October 2020 Student Answers
- February 2020 MPT(s) and February 2020 Student Answers
- July 2019 MPT(s) and July 2019 Student Answers
- February 2019 MPT(s) and February 2019 Student Answers
- July 2018 MPT(s) and July 2018 Student Answers
- February 2018 MPT(s) and February 2018 Student Answers
- July 2017 MPT(s) and July 2017 Student Answers
- February 2017 MPT(s) and February 2017 Student Answers
- July 2016 MPT(s) and July 2016 Student Answers
- February 2016 MPT(s) and February 2016 Student Answers
- July 2015 MPT(s) and July 2015 Student Answers
- February 2015 MPT(s) and February 2015 Student Answers
- Answers back to February 2000 are available on the Georgia Bar Admissions website!
2. New York Bar Exam Website
Another useful source of free past MPTs is the New York bar exam website.
MPTs tested from July 2019 to February 2022 are on their website. The NCBE writes two MPTs for each administration, but non-UBE states have the option to include none, one, or both questions on their exams. Up until New York adopted the UBE (July 2016), they administered 1 MPT. After that, you should see both MPTs included for each administration. Regardless of what year you are looking for, you will find the MPT question and high-scoring student answers.
- July 2022
- February 2022
- July 2021
- February 2021
- October 2020
- February 2020
- July 2019
- February 2019
- February 2018
- July 2017
- February 2017
- July 2016 (first admin where NY had 2 MPTs)
- February 2016
- July 2015
- February 2015
- July 2014
- February 2014
- July 2013
- February 2013
- July 2012
- July 2011
- February 2011
- July 2010
- February 2010
- July 2009
- February 2009
- July 2008
- February 2008
- July 2007
- February 2007
- July 2006
- February 2006
- July 2005
Past MPTs, Point Sheets, and Student Answers
If you are willing to pay for past MPTs and you want everything in one place, our MPT Books may be just what you are looking for! Available in electronic form, these books currently contain all the MPTs tested from 2009 until the most recent administration available.
Our MPT Books differ from any other resource (that we know of) becuase we include:
- The MPT question
- The MPT sample answer promulgated by the National Conference of Bar Examiners
- A model student answer that has received a high score on the bar exam. (This is invaluable for formatting purposes and to see what is realistic to write in the 1.5 hours you have to write an MPT!)
Our goal with our MPT Books is to save you time! You will not have to wonder if your format is correct or waste hours searching for student answers or point sheets online. Instead, you will have everything in one place. Check out our MPT Book page to read more about purchase options!
Looking for MPT Help?
We offer the following MPT products and services:
- MPT private tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MPT.
- An MPT guide which takes students from the beginning to end in how to write an MPT.
- MPT feedback for those seeking structural and organizational review of practice questions.
- Real MPT questions! We offer all NCBE-released questions from 2000 to present compiled in one book.
- An MPT seminar for those seeking help on how to tackle the MPT.
Also, check out our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
We would not recommend studying those MPTs, because they are less indicative of what you will see on exam day. We recommend using more recent MPTs to study! Also, we do not have access to the MPTs from 1997.
Where can I find MPT samples and/or point sheets from 1997?