Many examinees take the multistate performance test (MPT) portion of the bar exam for granted and do not realize that succeeding on the MPT is key to passing the Uniform Bar Exam! In this post, we tell you why examinees ignore the MPT portion and why you should not fall into this trap!
Why do examinees ignore the MPT portion of the Uniform Bar Exam?
It is very easy to ignore the MPT of the bar exam. Here are the many reasons why examinees ignore this portion of the Uniform Bar Exam:
- First, The MPT seems “easier” than other portions of the test (after all, you don’t have to learn any law for it!).
- Bar review courses tend to not spend much time on it and many of the strategies and tips we have seen are not that helpful.
- The MPT practice resources are sub-par and it is hard to find MPT questions, answers, and high scoring student answers. This makes it even harder for people who want to practice to actually practice. (We have MPT books here if this is your main obstacle to practicing!)
- Also, many examinees tell themselves that they are good writers, they are used to reading and writing from law school and maybe they even have some practical experience. So, they do not think the MPT portion will be that challenging for them.
So, it is easy to put this portion of the test off.
But it is actually the key to passing the Uniform Bar Exam. Here is why:
- It is easy to stand out on this portion of the exam, in part because so many examinees ignore it.
- Practicing can go a long way in improving your MPT score. If you practice a little bit every week, you will be surprised at how quickly you progress at this task.
- You are much more likely to pass the Uniform Bar Exam if you take the MPT seriously. This is because the MPT is worth 20% of your score (the same as 70 scored MPT questions or 4 scored MEE questions). That is a significant portion. Way too significant to ignore!
- Many students who “feel confident” about the MPT portion without practicing MPTs run out of time on the actual exam. They start the bar exam off on the wrong foot, and may even fail the bar exam because of the MPT portion. We see this happen every exam.
We have tons of blog posts and resources about the MPT portion of the exam. Click here to see all of our MPT blog posts.
Need Expert MPT Guidance?
🔥 Top-Rated MPT Resources
Check out our February 2024 bar exam sale to save on our one-sheets, bar exam outlines, and mastery classes!
- New MPT One-Sheets: Discover crucial formats and tips distilled to simplicity.
- MPT Private Tutoring: Opt for personalized strategies and guidance to elevate your preparation.
- Bar Exam Crash Course and Mini Outlines: Gain a comprehensive understanding of the big picture.
- MPT Mastery Class: Deepen your understanding and skills for MPT excellence.
- Comprehensive MPT Guide: Navigate the MPT process with our step-by-step guide.
- Targeted MPT Feedback: Refine your approach with structural and organizational insights.
- Real MPT Questions Compilation (2000 to present): Engage in hands-on practice to enhance your readiness.
Plus, don’t miss our Free Bar Exam Resource Center filled with our top free resources and expert insights!