The Differences Between Studying and Studying for the Bar Exam
There is a big difference between studying and studying for the bar exam. When you begin bar exam preparation, make it a priority to study for the bar exam. If you focus on studying (but don’t make the exam your priority) then you may work very hard but you will end up wasting time and not making progress toward your ultimate goal – which is to pass the bar exam.
We have talked to hundreds of examinees who have studied very hard – but still failed the bar exam, and only realized in retrospect that while they may have been “studying”, they were not studying for the exam.
Below are some differences between those who study and those who study for the exam.
Studying versus Studying for the Bar Exam
Those who study try to learn every word of every outline and treat all topics equally.
Those who study for the exam focus on the highly tested areas of law.
Those who study do not make practice questions a priority.
Those who study for the exam spend time practicing essay and MBE questions and dissecting the model answers.
Those who study use whatever MBE and essay questions their course gives them.
Those who study for the exam make it a priority to use released MBE and essay questions.
Those who study do not practice exams under simulated conditions.
Those who study for the exam make timed exams a priority prior to test day.
Those who study follow to-do lists without reflecting on whether what they are doing is beneficial.
Those who study for the exam reflect each week to determine what helps them make progress and what doesn’t.
Those who study make it their goal to complete their commercial course.
Those who study for the exam make it their goal to pass the bar exam.
We believe that the best approach to bar prep, is to focus not on studying but on studying for the exam. This makes the difference between efficiency and inefficiency. And for many, it makes the difference between passing and not passing the exam.
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1249.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!