A lot of prospective clients ask us, “should I hire a bar exam tutor?” It is true that not everybody needs a tutor to pass the bar exam. In fact, not even everybody that has failed the bar exam in the past needs to hire a bar exam tutor to pass the bar exam (although if you are in this boat, you are more likely to benefit if you hire a bar exam tutor!)
Here, we discuss the advantages of hiring a bar exam tutor as we as some other factors to consider when deciding whether to retain a bar exam tutor. If you are looking for tutoring, please contact us and we are happy to advise you specifically! The factors below will give you a general idea if a bar exam tutor is right for you.
Should I hire a Bar Exam Tutor?
Benefits of Having a Bar Exam Tutor
There are of course, great advantages to having a bar exam tutor. Here are a few of the ways that a bar exam tutor can be invaluable.
- First and foremost, a tutor can demystify difficult concepts in a one-on-one environment. This fits very well with the learning styles of a lot of students. Many students find it infinitely more helpful than filling in blanks on a lecture handout!
- A tutor can help keep you accountable! Students often tell us that knowing that they are meeting someone each week who will go over material, grade essays, and give them feedback inspires them to work hard.
- A tutor can teach you how to study. It is always our goal to teach you what to do to help you maximize your hours outside of tutoring.
- A tutor can help you with a good study schedule and tell you what you need to do each week in order to pass the bar exam. The bar exam can be overwhelming just due to the amount of information you have to learn and the work you have to do. A tutor can break this down into manageable chunks.
- A tutor can recognize your strengths and weaknesses and come up with a plan to capitalize upon your strengths and improve your weaknesses.
- A tutor can keep you accountable and on track.
- A tutor can give you a new approach to the bar exam — which is likely exactly what you need, especially if you are a repeat taker.
- A tutor can serve as a coach, a friend, and a support system when you are stressed out or anxious!
- A tutor can provide you with better materials. We have fantastic MBE and essay outlines (for the Uniform Bar Exam and several states, like California). To see an example of our MEE outlines, please click here. They are well-organized, aesthetically pleasing, an excellent tool for visual learners, and provide the hands-down most efficient approach to bar exam preparation.
- A tutor can give you invaluable feedback on your essay answers and work you submit. We offer weekly grading for students who sign up for our tutoring services.
- A tutor can keep you encouraged through the study process.
- Most importantly, a tutor can help you maximize your chances of passing the bar exam!
Some students sign up for a tutor right away, even if they don’t “need” to hire a bar exam tutor. They feel better knowing that they have one-on-one accountability and that they are likely to maximize their chances of passing the bar exam. However, if your question is whether you should hire a bar exam tutor, below we list some factors to consider.
Should I hire a Bar Exam Tutor?
If you are a first-time bar exam taker:
You may pass the bar exam without the help of a tutor. However, you may find that you should hire a bar exam tutor if:
- You did not do very well in law school and/or graduated near the bottom of your class.
- You struggled a lot in your first year courses (the bar exam emphasizes the material learned in the first year of law school).
- You did not take a lot of bar exam-specific material during your second and third years of law school.
- You plan on working (or you have some similar obligation) while you study
- You don’t learn well from large lectures and courses.
- You benefit from individual attention, talking things out.
- You excel when you have someone to be accountable to.
- The exam is “high stakes” — meaning you have a job that depends on you passing the exam, you cannot take time off to study again, or perhaps you are flying into the U.S. to take the exam.
We help several first-time bar exam takers pass every administration.
If you have taken the bar exam in the past, you want to consider the following factors in considering whether you should hire a bar exam tutor.
First, how much did you “miss” the bar exam by?
If you are only a few points off (1-5 points) you may need less tutoring or not need tutoring at all. But – work hard! Even some of these students end up having to take the bar exam more than twice if they don’t retain a tutor prior to their second exam. (Sometimes it is because their score was inflated on the first bar exam they took–i.e., it was artificially high because they got lucky. Other times it is because they have a false sense of confidence. Lastly, sometimes these students are simply burnt out!)
If you missed the bar exam by 6-15 points, you will likely benefit from a weekly bar exam tutor.
If your score was lower (16+ points) you will definitely benefit from a tutor.
Second, have you taken the bar exam before?
If you have taken the bar exam once before, you can benefit from a tutor but you are less likely to need it than someone who has taken the bar exam several times.
If you have taken the bar exam two, there, four, five, or more times, you should strongly consider hiring a bar exam tutor. You likely need a wholly new approach. A bar exam tutor can give you a tailored plan and a fresh approach to the bar exam.
Third, consider other circumstances.
Some questions to consider are:
- How was your timing on bar exam day? Did you run out of time?
- Were you anxious, sick, or unable to sleep on bar exam day?
- Did you have an unusual preparation period for your bar exam attempt(s)? Did you work a lot? Did family emergencies come up?
- How will things be different this bar exam preparation period? (E.g., will you have to work the entire bar prep period?)
I think I should hire a bar exam tutor. Who should I contact?
If you think you may should hire a tutor for the upcoming bar exam – or if you are not sure – please contact us here. Our consultations are 100% free and 100% confidential! We just want you to pass the bar exam!
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1249.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!