It is no secret that we are fans of the Strategies and Tactics 6th Edition book. We purchase it for all of our course students as it is a fantastic and affordable source for released questions. However, the book does have some flaws. In this post we give an honest review of the Strategies and Tactics 6th Edition, and list the pros and cons of purchasing the book.
Review of the Strategies & Tactics 6th Edition Book – Pros & Cons
The Pros of the Strategies and Tactics 6th Edition:
- There are about 60 RELEASED questions broken up by subject. Released questions are questions promulgated by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE), which is the organization that writes the MBE. These are mostly retired MBE questions. These are invaluable and much better than questions that a commercial course provides. Tip: If your commercial course does not brag about offering released questions, they don’t offer released questions! Most commercial courses do not. It is well worth it to get some real questions as this will prepare you for the exam day more than any non-released MBE questions that are made up by a commercial course.
- The book has three 100-question exams at the end of the book, two of which are excellent. (The third one we don’t love as much, for reasons we identify below.) These are great because they are “mixed” question sets and you can take them in a timed setting to see how you will perform on the actual exam.
- Some people find the brief subject matter introductions at the beginning of each chapter helpful. We find the Civil Procedure “intro” chapter to be very helpful and think the other subject introductions are moderately helpful. This is a matter of opinion, but these subject introductions certainly cannot hurt!
- The price. It is now available for just over $50 on amazon! We are affiliated with amazon, but we would recommend it regardless because this is the cheapest we have seen it. We even pay more when we buy directly from the publisher! You can purchase the Strategies & Tactics for the MBE (Emanuel Bar Review) here. Update: The price for a new book has just increased (probably because we have been telling everyone to buy it when it was so cheap)! Keep an eye on it as the price may go back down. If you happen to find any other sources for a cheaper copy, please let us know and we will post them here!
The Cons of the Strategies and Tactics 6th Edition:
- The Civil Procedure questions are not reflective of actual bar exam questions. They are lengthy and a bit too nuanced. They are not written as well as the other questions. They are still a decent source of practice but by no means great questions. (The reason that they are not as well written as the other questions is because they are not released by the NCBE. They are written by the author.) At the time the book was released, there were no “real” Civil Procedure questions out there. Now, there are. You can see ten free ones here and purchase thirty more Civil Procedure questions here.
- The third exam in the book (which is the same as the National Conference of Bar Examiners Online Practice Exam #4) is a mixed question exam. However, it does not contain civil procedure questions. Further, the exam is very hard to use as a study tool. It is set up so that it has a question, answer choice (a), an explanation of why answer choice (a) is correct or incorrect, answer choice (b), an explanation of why answer choice (b) is correct or incorrect (and then it does the same for answer choice (c) and (d). This makes this exam very hard to use as a study tool because the answers are written right into the questions! Further, instead of “Question 1” it will say “Question 1 – Constitutional Law”. This is not helpful because the point of a mixed exam is that you do not immediately know which subject you are being tested on! Thus, we do not care for this exam as much.
- There are over 550 released questions, which is great. However, some students need more practice and will have to use another source to practice MBE questions in addition to this one.
Overall, the book does have some flaws, but we still highly recommend it and we still buy it for all of our students. You certainly get a lot for your money! You can purchase the Strategies & Tactics for the MBE (Emanuel Bar Review) here.
Looking for other released questions?
Check out our source of real MBE questions here. We sell real questions that were just released at the end of 2017! So if you are sick of looking at the same released questions over and over again or if you already have the strategies and tactics book, you can get questions that are hot off the press right here.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!