The Michigan Board of Law Examiner’s just announced that under the new Michigan bar exam security policy “No More Coats, Fitness Trackers, or Beverages Other Than Clear Plastic Bottle of Clear Water” This could impact upcoming July takers as the Breslin Center is usually freezing and many students have considered bringing coats in the past. Under the new Michigan bar exam security policy, applicants are permitted to bring in only the following items in a clear plastic food storage type bag (maximum size one gallon), which may only contain:
- Admission Certificate
- Government Issued Photo I.D.
- Earplugs (not the big earphone/headphone type)
- Pens, pencils, erasers
- Medication and medical items (see paragraph below about special accommodations for those with medical conditions or disabilities, or for lactating mothers)
- Facial tissue
- One clear plastic bottle of water per exam session (the contents must also be clear)
Our tips to stay warm (and comply with the Michigan bar exam security policy at the same time): First, we recommend you double-up on sweaters or long-sleeve shirts. Remember that hooded sweatshirts (or any hood, besides religious apparel) are not permitted. Second, in addition to multiple layers, we also recommend you bring hand and foot warmers! (We usually hand them out at the bar exam, but they are popular and go fast!) Bring your own and bring several pairs!
I don’t think anyone is going to be upset that they can’t bring their fitness trackers into the bar exam (seems intuitive, since they don’t allow watches).
A question for recent bar takers: Did anyone bring in highlighters? Highlighters are not on the list above but they are also not on the “strictly prohibited” list (although they might fall into the “any other item not specifically allowed” list.
*Update: A recent bar exam taker has stated that several students brought in highlighters and the proctors stated that they were “of course” allowed when asked. If you had a different experience, please let us know. Thank you to the recent bar taker who e-mailed us that information!
**Update 2: This has been confirmed by another Michigan bar exam taker, who asked the Board prior to the exam if highlighters were permitted and they said yes.
The list of prohibited items is below:
- Hats, hoods or any other headgear (except items of religious apparel)
- Duffle bags
- Tote bags
- Scratch paper
- Books, magazines, newspapers, or any other reading material
- Bar review or other study material in any format or media
- Electronic devices such as cell phones, calculators, pagers, cameras, radios, recording devices, hand-held computers, any type of personal digital assistant, wireless e-mail devices, fitness trackers, etc.
- iPods or similar devices
- Headphones or headsets
- Imaging devices
- Any type of wireless communication device
- Weapons of any kind, regardless of whether you have a permit to carry
- Watches or timepieces of any kind
- Any other item not specifically allowed
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!