According the American Bar Association, the mean scaled score for the February 2016 bar exam has fallen to 135. This is approximately 1.2 points lower than it was for the February 2015 bar exam (which was 136.17).
In the past ten years, the mean scaled score for the February bar exam ranged from 135.7 to 138.6 with the average being 137.37. The February 2015 MBE scaled score was a 136.17. This drop to 135 is the lowest since the MBE scaled score has been for a February administration since 1983.
This is not a surprise after July 2015 bar exam results were released, as they were also the lowest they had been since 1988 (the scaled score for July was 139.9).
Did the low MBE score come as a surprise to the National Conference of Bar Examiners? No. According to the ABA, Erica Moeser, the President of the National Conference of Bar Examiner’s stated that the results were not a surprise and explained that she expected the “downward trend” in MBE scores was likely to continue for at least a couple more years.
Note: If you are wondering why February’s MBE scaled score is so much lower than July’s, note that February bar exam scores are almost always lower than July bar exam scores. This is generally attributed to the number of “repeat” bar exam takers that take the bar exam in February.
If you find yourself in the group of people that did not pass the February 2016 bar exam, and would like to know more about our private bar exam tutoring services, please contact us at your convenience. We are happy to help you! We specialize in UBE states, MEE states, California, New York, and Michigan, but have helped students nationwide.
If you have not found out your bar exam results (but are wondering when results are released, how they are released, if you will see your score, and if an appeal is possible) please see this post where we have information on how and when each state delivers bar exam results.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)