California Performance Test Frequency Chart
Here, we have a California Performance Test frequency chart! If you are wondering what has been tested on the performance test portion of the California Bar Exam, this should help clarify it!
Note that beginning July 2017, California changed the format of its bar exam from a three-day exam to a two-day exam. Prior to July 2017, the California Bar Exam contained two three-hour performance tests. However, since July 2017, the California Bar Exam has tested only one 90-minute performance test. (This performance test more closely resembles the performance tests administered by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE).)
California Performance Test Frequency Chart Takeaways
You will notice a few things when you review this frequency chart. (Click on the picture to open it in a new tab!)
- First, the most common task by far is the objective memo. (From 2013 through Feb 2023, of the 30 tasks that have been administered, this has been tested 15 times, or 50% of the time!).
- The persuasive brief is the second most popular task, but it is much less popular than the objective memo, having only been tested about 13% of the time (it has composed 4 of the past 30 tasks).
- The persuasive memo and response to a demand letter are the next in line for being most popular (each being tested 3 times since 2013 of the 30, or 10% each).
- The persuasive letter is less popular (only being tested 2 times since 2013, of the 30, or 6.66% of the time)—but it was tested semi-recently, in July 2017.
- The opinion letter has only been tested once since February 2013, making it the least popular task (1/30 = 3% of the time) and further, it has not been tested recently.
You should not ignore any type of performance test when you are preparing for the California Performance Test portion of the bar exam. However, hopefully, this chart can help you focus your studies and show you the tasks most likely to appear on your exam!
Looking to Pass the California Bar Exam?
📚 Ready to Conquer the California Bar Exam?
- Free Bar Exam Resource Center: Your gateway to handpicked guides, webinars, and articles.
- Expert-Written Bar Exam Guides: Get a CA bar exam essay guide, strategies for passing, and advice on choosing the ideal tutor.
Top Resources Recommended by our Students:
- California One-Sheets and Baby Bar One-Sheets: Consistently 5-star rated by our students.
- California Essay Exam Mastery Class: Target the most tested and challenging California bar segments.
- California and Baby Bar Exam Private Tutoring: Get personalized tutoring by bar exam experts.
- On Demand Bar Exam Course: 5-star rated for your comprehensive preparation. Free course preview available!
- Real MBE Questions: Perfect your practice with the best of practice materials.