California Performance Test Frequency Chart
Here, we have a California Performance Test frequency chart! If you are wondering what has been tested on the performance test portion of the California Bar Exam, this should help clarify it!
Note that beginning July 2017, California changed the format of its bar exam from a three-day exam to a two-day exam. Prior to July 2017, the California Bar Exam contained two three-hour performance tests. However, since July 2017, the California Bar Exam has only contained one 90-minute performance test. (This performance test more closely resembles the performance tests administered by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE).
California Performance Test Frequency Chart Takeaways
- First, the most common task by far is the objective memo. (From 2013 through Feb 2022, of the 28 tasks that have been administered, this has been tested 14 times, or 50% of the time!).
- The persuasive brief is the second most popular task, but it is much less popular than the objective memo, having only been tested about 14% of the time (it has composed 4 of the past 28 tasks).
- The persuasive memo and response to a demand letter are the next in line for being most popular (each being tested 3 times since 2013 of the 28, or 10.7% each).
- The persuasive letter is less popular (only being tested 2 times since 2013, of the 28, or 7.1% of the time)—but it was tested semi-recently, in July 2017.
- The opinion letter has only been tested once since February 2013, making it the least popular task (1/28 = 3.6% of the time) and further, it has not been tested recently.
You should not ignore any type of performance test when you are preparing for the California Performance Test portion of the bar exam. However, hopefully this chart can help you focus your studies and show you the tasks most likely to appear on your exam!
Looking to Pass the California Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star bar exam course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Free popular bar exam guides (a CA bar exam essay guide, a guide on how to pass the bar exam, and a guide to hiring a bar exam tutor) written by bar exam experts!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand Bar Exam Course
- Our NEW California Essay Exam Mastery Class, which covers the highly tested and difficult California bar exam issues!
- California and Baby Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- CA One-Sheets and Baby Bar One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
You can read more about our California Bar Exam services here.