The Best Approach to the MEE (Multistate Essay Exam)
The Best Approach to the MEE: If you want to study efficiently for the MEE, you need to know what to study. If you don’t know the law, you will not have anything to write on your MEE essay response.
Getting a high score on the MEE comes down to studying efficiently. The best approach to the MEE is the one that will allow you to learn as much highly-tested areas in as little as time as possible. So, how do you know what to study?
First, spend more time studying the highly-tested subjects.
While you do not want to neglect any subject, you want to spend more time on the highly-tested subjects. In other words, you should spend more time on Civil Procedure than on Conflicts. Check out our MEE frequency chart here to find the most tested subjects on the MEE.
Allocating more time to subjects more likely to appear is one crucial way to be efficient in your approach!
Second, you want to spend time on the highly-tested topics within each subject.
The National Conference of Bar Examiners’ does not reinvent the wheel every time they write an MEE question. Rather, they will frequently look back to past exams for ideas. This should not be surprising. If it was your job to write a bar exam question, the first thing you would do is look back to past exams to get ideas for format and substance!
So how do you learn these highly-tested topics within each subject?
There are a few approaches – from most expensive to free! We recommend all of them.
- Sign up for our MEE course. We will give you all of the MEE outlines which are the best! See a sample of our outlines and read more about them here. We make our outlines by going back from 1995 to the present date to make sure that every topic that has been tested is in our outlines. Further, we put dates next to the topics to alert you to the topics that are tested and to what may be coming up! Our approach is significantly better than a commercial course approach. Not only is it more tailored, we also have a small-group setting (ten people maximum!) and offer the course online and in person in New York City.
- Sign up for our MEE seminar. Our MEE seminar covers the highly-tested areas of law that we think are coming up. You will receive a 50-page handout of the highly-tested issues that we think could be coming up on the next MEE. You will also have a three-hour lecture. This is offered online and in person in New York City. Students who attend our seminar say it is the best decision they made during bar prep!
- Want a free approach? Start by reading our MEE blogs. We have a ton of information from how to write an MEE answer, how to self-grade an MEE answer, how the MEE is scored, MEE subjects by year, what to expect on the MEE, our predictions for what subjects are coming up, etc. If you are looking for all Uniform Bar Exam blogs, click here!
We see some students spend so much time learning the law (and telling themselves that they are good writers) that they never get around to practicing! Being a “good writer” will not get you a high score on the multistate essay exam. You need to be good at following directions and doing what the examiners want you to do!
Make sure to write practice essays early and often. You should be writing at least five practice essays a week and increasing the amount you write as it gets closer to the exam.
We hope you found this post useful!
Looking for MEE Help?
Free or discounted resources
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the highly tested MEE topics, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- A five-star MEE course that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these!
- NEW MEE Mastery Class, an effective and engaging way to review the highly tested areas of law on the MEE!
- MEE Feedback for those seeking substantive and organizational review of practice questions
- MEE Private Tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MEE
You can read more about our MEE services here.