Which States are Delaying or Modifying the February 2021 Bar Exam?
Which states are delaying or modifying the February 2021 bar exam? The NCBE has announced a remote option for February 2021 takers. To get an idea of what states did for the last bar administration (July 2020), check out this post.
Which States are Delaying or Modifying the February 2021 Bar Exam?
States will decide relatively soon whether to postpone or modify the February 2021 bar exam. New York, again, was the first state to make a decision on the bar exam. Also, Harvard Law School has already announced that it will hold all spring classes online.
For your convenience, here we list the jurisdictions as well as their decisions to keep the February 2021 bar exam scheduled as-is in February 2021, or to delay it, or to modify it somehow. We will keep this post updated as states make decisions!
The NCBE has its own post that it is updating here.
Update 11/9/20 on the October 2020 MBE: the national mean was 137.2 for October in-person MBE, according to the NCBE.
UPDATE: check out our February 2021 UBE predictions here!
If you have new information, please comment below or contact us so we can update the post!
- Alabama (AL)—In-person exam, protocols in place (as of 1/6/21)
- Alaska (AK)—In-person exam (as of 1/6/21)
- Arizona (AZ)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/18/20)
- Arkansas (AR)—In-person exam (as of 1/6/21)
- California (CA)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/19/20). Provisional licensure program in effect until June 21, 2022. (as of 10/21/20)
- Colorado (CO)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/6/20)
- Connecticut (CT)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 10/20/20)
- Delaware (DE)—The Delaware Bar Exam will be administered on July 26, 27, and 28, 2021. (check here for updates).
- District of Columbia (DC)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 10/27/20)
- Florida (FL)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/18/20)
- Georgia (GA)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/9/20)
- Hawaii (HI)—In-person exam (as of 1/6/21)
- Idaho (ID)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/8/20)
- Illinois (IL)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/11/20)
- Indiana (IN)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/24/20)
- Iowa (IA)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/3/20)
- Kansas (KS)—no updates that this time
- Kentucky (KY)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/13/20)
- Louisiana (LA)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/4/20)
- Maine (ME)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/9/20)
- Maryland (MD)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 10/21/20)
- Massachusetts (MA)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 10/21/20)
- Michigan (MI)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/4/20). The Board announced more information in its press release, including that Michigan is hoping to adopt the UBE (see here). The Board announced that the February 2021 bar exam will be given on February 23 & 24, 2021, and in the normal two-day format. (as of 10/26/20) The Board posted a warning that new Mac computers will not be compatible with Examplify. (as of 11/12/20) The Board posted some initial information on the remote exam. (as of 12/10/20). The board included more bar exam FAQs. File download information was posted. (as of 2/19/21) Updates are posted here.
- Minnesota (MN)—In-person exam, protocols in place (as of 1/6/21)
- Mississippi (MS)—In-person exam (see here); exam schedule listed online (as of 1/6/21)
- Missouri (MO)—In-person exam, protocols in place (as of 1/3/21)
- Montana (MT)—In-person exam (as of 1/6/21)
- Nebraska (NE)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/11/20)
- Nevada (NV)—REMOTE EXAM. (as of 11/5/20) “The remote exam format eliminates the Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), and instead consists of seven Nevada essay questions and two performance tests. The exam will be conducted online with ILG software, except for applicants who require accommodation or request to handwrite the exam.”
- New Hampshire (NH)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 10/29/20)
- New Jersey (NJ)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/2/20)
- New Mexico (NM)—In-person exam (as of 1/6/21)
- New York (NY)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 10/21/20), consisting of all components of the UBE (as of 10/26/20)
- North Carolina (NC)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/23/20). The board previously reduced the passing score for the February 2021 exam from 270 to 268. (as of 7/24/20)
- North Dakota (ND)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/9/20)
- Ohio (OH)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/19/20)
- Oklahoma (OK)—documents available online for the exam (as of 1/4/21); UBE score transfers being accepted effective immediately (as of 1/19/21)
- Oregon (OR)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/6/20)
- Pennsylvania (PA)—REMOTE EXAM, February 22-24 (as of 10/19/20)
- Rhode Island (RI)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/30/20)
- South Carolina (SC)—In-person exam (as of 1/27/21)
- South Dakota (SD)—No updates that this time (updates likely posted here). Failed the South Dakota bar exam? Check out this post.
- Tennessee (TN)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 10/23/20)
- Texas (TX)—In-person exam, at multiple places (as of 1/6/21); remote exam for Texas admission only on March 16-17, 2021 due to power outages, February UBE will still be held remotely, examinees can also defer to the July 2021 exam (as of 2/21/21)
- Utah (UT)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/10/20)
- Vermont (VT)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 11/10/20)
- Virginia (VA)—In-person exam (as of 1/6/21)
- Washington (WA)—REMOTE EXAM and temporary minimum score lowered to 266 (as of 12/3/20)
- West Virginia (WV)—no updates that this time
- Wisconsin (WI)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/8/20). Wisconsin already has the diploma privilege in place.
- Wyoming (WY)—appears there are no changes to the exam, none listed online (as of 1/6/21)
- American Samoa (AS)—no updates that this time
- Guam (GU)—In-person exam, with protocols and quarentine requirements (as of 10/16/20); all news here
- Northern Mariana Islands (MP)—In-person exam (as of 1/6/21)
- Palau—Palau will administer the exam on February 24-26, 2021 and there will be no July 2021 exam. (as of 10/30/20)
- Puerto Rico (PR)—April 2021 exam (more info here)
- Virgin Islands (VI)—REMOTE EXAM (as of 12/8/20)
Have any updates we missed? Please comment below!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!