If you are taking the Uniform Bar Exam, you may wonder which Uniform Bar Exam essay topics you need to know in order to pass the bar exam. Uniform Bar Exam states administer the multistate essay exam (MEE), which is written by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE). So, when we refer to Uniform Bar Exam essay topics, we will often be referring to the MEE.
The MEE is composed of six questions. You have three hours to answer the six questions (so you should plan on spending about thirty minutes on each question).
There are 14 potential subjects which could be tested in a given exam. Usually, the NCBE tests one subject per question but occasionally it will combine two subjects together.
The 14 Uniform Bar Exam essay topics that could be tested on the Uniform Bar Exam are the following:
- Agency & Partnership
- Corporations & LLCs
- Civil Procedure
- Conflict of Laws
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law and Procedure
- Family Law
- Real Property
- Trusts and Future Interests
- Decedents’ Estates (Wills)
- Secured Transactions
A few notes on these Uniform Bar Exam essay topics:
- Commercial Paper used to be tested on the MEE but no longer is. (So if you see references to that in your study material, you can ignore it!)
- Not all subjects are tested equally. For example, Civil Procedure is tested more often than any other subject. (We suspect it will be tested less with the addition of Civil Procedure to the MBE in 2015, but it still remains the most highly tested subject!) Further, Conflict of Laws is not tested very often and is not a standalone subject (meaning, you will always see it combined with another subject–usually it is tested with Civil Procedure or Family Law but has occasionally been tested with Wills).
- Sometimes a subject is combined with another subject. For example, Torts and Agency are frequently tested together. And Evidence and Criminal Procedure have been tested together recently.
- To read more about the highly tested MEE subjects, see this post. To read more about the highly tested MEE topics within each subject, see this post.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
Check out our February 2024 bar exam sale to save on our one-sheets, bar exam outlines, and mastery classes!
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Bar Exam Outlines: Our comprehensive and condensed bar exam outlines present key information in an organized, easy-to-digest layout.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!