UBE States and “Local Components”: Do I need to take an additional exam to be licensed?
Some students believe that they can simply take the Uniform Bar Exam and then be licensed in their chosen jurisdiction. However, that is unfortunately not the case! In addition to applying to be licensed (which includes paying filing fees and passing a character and fitness component), your state may also require a local component. That is, in addition to passing the Uniform Bar Exam, you may also have to pass a state-specific exam or undergo a different requirement to ensure you know that state’s law.
Many of these state-specific exams are online. Whether you take the exam before or after the bar exam is up to the state. However, most states require completion of the local component before the bar exam.
In the chart above, which is promulgated by the National Conference of Bar Examiners, states highlighted in red do not have a local component. States highlighted in blue have a pre-admission component. And states highlighted in green have a post-admission component. Please make sure to consult your jurisdiction for details! This chart is meant merely to give you an overview of which states make require additional steps to be admitted.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)