Local Components for UBE
UBE States and “Local Components”: Do I need to take an additional exam to be licensed?
Some students believe that they can simply take the Uniform Bar Exam and then be licensed in their chosen jurisdiction. However, that is unfortunately not the case! In addition to applying to be licensed (which includes paying filing fees and passing a character and fitness component), your state may also require a local component. That is, in addition to passing the Uniform Bar Exam, you may also have to pass a state-specific exam or undergo a different requirement to ensure you know that state’s law.
Many of these state-specific exams are online. Whether you take the exam before or after the bar exam is up to the state. However, most states require completion of the local component before the bar exam.
In the chart above, which is promulgated by the National Conference of Bar Examiners, states highlighted in red do not have a local component. States highlighted in blue have a pre-admission component. And states highlighted in green have a post-admission component. Please make sure to consult your jurisdiction for details! This chart is meant merely to give you an overview of which states make require additional steps to be admitted.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
Check out our February 2024 bar exam sale to save on our one-sheets, bar exam outlines, and mastery classes!
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Bar Exam Outlines: Our comprehensive and condensed bar exam outlines present key information in an organized, easy-to-digest layout.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!