Three Tips For Better MBE Performance
The MBE portion of the bar exam is a daunting and challenging prospect, to say the least. Not only must you answer 100 questions in three hours (and then an additional 100 in another 3 hours) but there are also answer choices aplenty. Each MBE question comes with four possible answer options. For many students, eliminating two answer choices and deciding between the remaining two can feel like gambling. JD Advising has some more tips for better performance on the MBE. These tips are designed to help you during the preparation process for an upcoming administration of the bar exam. Let’s take a look at JD Advising’s tips for better performance on the MBE.
Three Tips For Better MBE Performance
1. Quality And Quantity Go Hand In Hand
For better performance on the MBE, consider both quality and quantity. You’ve probably heard some numbers of how many MBE questions need to be completed to pass the bar exam. While JD Advising recommends completing as many MBE practice questions as possible, the quality of your questions is also important. After all, there’s no point in practicing hundreds of MBE questions if they’re nothing like what’s actually tested on the bar exam! That’s why, along with a generous number of practice MBE questions, we also recommend high-quality questions. What defines high quality? In short, students should practice as many previously released MBE questions as they can find. These questions are released by the NCBE each year and each has been previously used on the actual MBE! We have a prior post describing where you can find real MBE questions. We offer access through our QBank!
2. Pattern Recognition
Pattern recognition as another way to achieve better performance on the MBE. At the end of the day, there’s only so many ways that bar examiners can test things using a mulitple-choise system. Before long, they run out of ways to ask if Blackacre belongs to Bob or if Carl breached the contract. The more practice MBE questions you complete, the more you’ll recognize certain patterns in how questions are asked. Certain patterns can be recognized within different subject matter questions. Additionally the more practice questions you complete, you’ll also develop your own pattern in how you evaluate questions and pick an answer.
3. Know Why You’re Right/Wrong
You wouldn’t make a mistake at work and not take the time to determine why a course of action constituted a mistake. Instead, you might ask yourself “what did I do wrong and how can I avoid doing it in the future.” The same reasoning applies to the MBE portion of the bar exam. For better performance on the MBE, you have to understand why a selected answer choice was wrong. The same reasoning applies when you select a correct answer choice. The easiest way to do this is by reading the explanations that accompany most practice MBE questions. Knowing why you chose an answer choice and why it was right or wrong can help you improve on future questions!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
Check out our February 2024 bar exam sale to save on our one-sheets, bar exam outlines, and mastery classes!
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Bar Exam Outlines: Our comprehensive and condensed bar exam outlines present key information in an organized, easy-to-digest layout.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!