The Format of the New Bar Exam
In case you missed it, the bar exam is going to look a little different in the next few years. The National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) recently announced that it would be administering a “new” bar exam beginning in 2024 or 2025. More information will be coming soon. Some preliminary information is as follows.
A New “Integrated” Format
Right now, the bar exam has three separate components — the multiple-choice component, the essay component, and the performance test component. The new bar exam format will essentially mash all of these into one. So, there will be a fact pattern and then a combination of multiple-choice questions and essay prompts which focus on legal skills. The multistate performance test was considered to be the best part of the old bar exam, so the skills tested on that exam (writing, issue-spotting and analysis, using the law to analyze the facts and write in a persuasive or objective manner, etc.) will be more heavily tested.
Subjects Tested on the New Bar Exam
The new bar exam will test fewer subjects. It will stick to the current seven subjects currently tested on the multistate bar exam. However, it will also test Business Associations, including Agency. A full list of the subjects tested on the new bar exam is below:
- Civil Procedure (including constitutional protections and proceedings before administrative agencies)
- Contract Law (including Art. 2 of the UCC)
- Business Associations (including Agency)
- Constitutional Law (excluding principles covered under Civil Procedure and Criminal Law)
- Criminal Law and Constitutional Protections Impacting Criminal Proceedings (excluding coverage of criminal procedure beyond constitutional protections)
- Real Property
Note that the new bar exam will be administered online. However, it appears as though it will be administered in testing centers, rather than remotely.
We’ll be posting a lot more about the new bar exam as information becomes available. You can read more about the new bar exam on the NCBE site here.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!