I scored low on the MEE (Multsitate Essay Exam). What should I do? We hear this question a lot! Some students are very surprised when they get their Multistate Essay Exam scores back. They say “I expected to score low on the MBE — but not the MEE!” If you did not pass the bar exam, then it is crucial to figure out what went wrong. Why did you score low? How can you make sure you improve this score? The Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) is an important part of the bar exam. It is worth the equivalent of 105 MBE questions! So it cannot be ignored.
I Scored Low on the MEE (Multistate Essay Exam). What Should I Do?
First Step: Request your essays!
The first thing you should do if you scored low is request your essays from your jurisdiction if they allow it. Some states only allow you to review your essays in person. If there is any sort of review process, follow it! If there is not, then look at your timed practice exams that you completed just before the test. (If you did not complete any practice questions, that may be your problem!!).
Second Step: Figure out what went wrong.
Next, you want to look through them carefully! Compare your answers to the sample answers and ask:
- Did I spot the issues?
- Were my rule statements accurate?
- Did I apply the law accurately?
- Was I able to arrive at the correct conclusions?
- Were my answers well-organized?
- Did I use enough facts in my analysis?
- How was my timing?
Be brutally honest. If you are stuck and are still not sure what went wrong, you can send in your essays to us for our feedback. We charge $160 for a detailed review of your essays.
Third Step: Figure out what you need to do to improve next time.
Was your problem that you did not know the law?
This is the most common downfall for students! If you scored low on the MEE because you don’t know the law, this issue needs to be address first and foremost. If you don’t know the law, no amount of strategy will help you pass. Ask yourself how much you struggle. If you truly do not understand the basics, we may recommend private tutoring. If your score was very low, this may be a sign you need a private tutor.
If you understand the basics but need to brush up on the highly-tested areas of law, we will recommend that you sign up for our MEE course (which will teach the law in-depth), attend our MEE Seminar (which goes over the highly tested areas of law that we predict could be coming up!), or at the very least, purchase our absolutely invaluable MEE one-sheets!
Was your problem that you did not use enough facts in your analysis?
If you scored low on the MEE becaue your analysis was too short, we recommend you go back to the fact pattern at the end of your essay answer to make sure you address all facts. It is also a good idea to use a highlighter (when you practice) to highlight all of the facts in the fact pattern that you addressed in your answer. If most of the facts are not highlighted, you may need to include more in your analysis!
Was timing your issue?
Timing yourself early and often may be what you need to do! Start small (with just, say, two essays in an hour the first week). Then add an hour each week. If you fail the bar exam, you should fail it because it’s hard. Not because you had timing issues!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- Bar Exam Crash Course and Mini Outlines for a helpful overview of the Uniform Bar Exam components
- MBE One-Sheets, MEE One-Sheets, MPT One-sheets CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)