July 2018 Michigan Bar Exam Recap
Congratulations if you have completed the essay portion of the Michigan bar exam. Here, we give you an overview of the July 2018 Michigan bar exam essays.
The July 2018 Michigan bar exam subjects were relatively straightforward. The subjects that “always” come up were tested this exam (Real Property, Personal Property, Civil Procedure, Torts, Family Law, Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Evidence, Contracts, etc.). Sales was tested (as we predicted, instead of something like Secured Transactions, Creditors’ Rights or Negotiable Instruments–all of which would have been much harder). Agency was tested (as predicted) as was Corporations (which we did not predict but is not rare).
Some of the questions contained issues that have not been tested in a long time–e.g., Civil Procedure tested a motion to set aside a default. Corporations tested piercing the corporate veil. These were not shocking since these issues have been tested, but they were unexpected. Torts tested nuisance, which was not expected.
Some questions were unusual. The Constitutional Law question threw a lot of people off. The Evidence question was very difficult. On the whole, students did not feel very confident about the afternoon portion of the exam.
Other questions were straightforward. Personal Property (gifts, abandoned property), Domestic Relations (modification of custody v. parenting time), Wills (validity, capacity), Sales (statute of frauds, rejection v. revocation), Agency (apparent authority), Contracts, Conflicts, and Criminal Procedure tested issues that have been tested recently.
The exam was lengthy! The morning part was tricky because the first three questions were the shortest (a half-page to a page) then the last six questions got longer and longer–with full-length page questions and three questions that were over a page. Students who did not pay close attention to timing ran out of time. If you ran out of time on the July 2018 Michigan bar exam, you were not the only one! So keep that in mind! The afternoon portion was also lengthy, with many of the questions being about a page.
On the whole, the July 2018 Michigan bar exam was a difficult exam. Based on the information we have, a lot of students ran out of time. Many students struggled with questions like Constitutional Law, Evidence, Corporations, among others. We suspect that the grading curve will be generous for July bar exam takers.
Remember, it is normal to NOT feel good about your essays. It is normal to not know the answers or to write something that is incorrect. It is normal to run out of time. Even if you don’t feel great about your essays, put them behind you and move onward to the MBE day!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!