The Statistics Look Dismal: February 2017 Michigan Bar Exam Passage Rate
The Michigan Board of Law Examiners recently quietly released the February 2017 Michigan Bar Exam passage rate statistics.
Of the 415 bar exam takers that took the bar exam in February 2017, only 203 passed. The overall Michigan bar exam passage rate post-appeals is 49%.* This is the lowest it has ever been according to the statistics available. (*Note: 7 appeals passed in the State of Michigan for the February 2017 bar exam. We are fortunate enough to have written 5 of them.)
Official February 2017 Michigan Bar Exam Results Released: Statistics Look Dismal
The first time taker Michigan bar exam passage rate is 67%. The repeat taker Michigan bar exam passage rate is 32%.
Law schools passage rates are as follows:
- WMU Cooley Law – 71/181 passed for an overall passage rate of 39%
- Michigan State University – 26/42 passed for an overall passage rate of 62%
- University of Detroit Mercy – 19/52 passed for an overall passage rate of 37%
- University of Michigan – 15/21 passed for an overall passage rate of 71%
- Wayne State University – 24/47 passed for an overall passage rate of 51%
- University of Toledo – 2/4 passed for an overall passage rate of 50%
- Other out of state law schools – 46/68 passed for an overall passage rate of 68%
We think that the reason for the low Michigan bar exam passage rate was the exceedingly difficult essay exam for the February 2017 bar exam administration. The Board tested several nuanced topics that are not covered in law school and are not taught by bar exam courses. You can read more about that here.
We think that the July bar exam will be more fairly written. This is due to the higher number of July bar exam takers and the fact that the July bar exam is given more publicity than the February bar exam. We think that the bar exam will still be difficult but hope that there is not such a high quantity of nuanced questions posed.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!