Official February 2017 Michigan Bar Exam Results Released: With a 49% Passage Rate, Statistics Look Dismal
The Statistics Look Dismal: February 2017 Michigan Bar Exam Passage Rate
The Michigan Board of Law Examiners recently quietly released the February 2017 Michigan Bar Exam passage rate statistics.
Of the 415 bar exam takers that took the bar exam in February 2017, only 203 passed. The overall Michigan bar exam passage rate post-appeals is 49%.* This is the lowest it has ever been according to the statistics available. (*Note: 7 appeals passed in the State of Michigan for the February 2017 bar exam. We are fortunate enough to have written 5 of them.)
Official February 2017 Michigan Bar Exam Results Released: Statistics Look Dismal
The first time taker Michigan bar exam passage rate is 67%. The repeat taker Michigan bar exam passage rate is 32%.
Law schools passage rates are as follows:
- WMU Cooley Law – 71/181 passed for an overall passage rate of 39%
- Michigan State University – 26/42 passed for an overall passage rate of 62%
- University of Detroit Mercy – 19/52 passed for an overall passage rate of 37%
- University of Michigan – 15/21 passed for an overall passage rate of 71%
- Wayne State University – 24/47 passed for an overall passage rate of 51%
- University of Toledo – 2/4 passed for an overall passage rate of 50%
- Other out of state law schools – 46/68 passed for an overall passage rate of 68%
We think that the reason for the low Michigan bar exam passage rate was the exceedingly difficult essay exam for the February 2017 bar exam administration. The Board tested several nuanced topics that are not covered in law school and are not taught by bar exam courses. You can read more about that here.
We think that the July bar exam will be more fairly written. This is due to the higher number of July bar exam takers and the fact that the July bar exam is given more publicity than the February bar exam. We think that the bar exam will still be difficult but hope that there is not such a high quantity of nuanced questions posed.
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
We also have several additional MBE, MEE, and MPT products available.