Does your school risk losing accreditation? A new ABA rule makes schools (and students) nervous!
The American Bar Association (ABA), the association which is responsible for accrediting law schools, has passed a new standard (Rule 316) that states the following:
At least 75 percent of a law school’s graduates who sat for a bar examination must have passed a bar examination administered within two years of their date of graduation.
The ABA calls this the Ultimate Bar Passage (UBP) rate. We like the “spirit” of the standard (we think that law schools should be held responsible if their students are not passing the bar exam at a high enough rate!). However, we also think that it will have unintended adverse effects. Regardless of what we think, it is the current standard — effective immediately as of 5/17/19– which means that law schools who do not have a 75% UBP rate risk losing accreditation.
This blog posted very interesting data about bar pass rates. We have copied two tables from the blog below.
Schools with UBP rates below 75% for 2015 AND 2016
These schools have posted UBP percentages below 75% for both 2015 and 2016 graduates. This means that unless they make serious changes, they are at true risk of losing accreditation. They need to have a UBP rate at or above 75%.
*Arizona Summit, Valparaiso, and Whittier no longer admit students
Schools with UBP rates below 75% for 2015 OR 2016
These schools have posted UBP percentages below 75% for either 2015 or 2016 graduates. This means that these schools have to make sure that they do not slip below this point in the future or they risk losing accreditation.
With the new standard, bar pass rates will have to be a primary focus for law schools. Particularly those who are at risk of not meeting the new ABA Standard.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!