Advantages Of Hiring a Bar Exam Tutor
A bar exam tutor can be an expensive decision, but there are several advantages to hiring a bar exam tutor. The biggest advantage of hiring a bar exam tutor is that you are more likely to pass the bar exam! However, there are several additional advantages of hiring a bar exam tutor that are worth considering, discussed below.
Advantages Of Hiring a Bar Exam Tutor
In addition to making it more likely you will pass the bar exam, here are five of the primary advantages of hiring a bar exam tutor.
1. One-on-one attention
The biggest advantage of hiring a bar exam tutor is one-on-one personal attention. A bar exam tutor can tailor all of the following to your needs:
- the material you cover (e.g., if you struggle with easements in Real Property but love landlord-tenant issues, the tutor can focus on easements and whatever else you struggle with!)
- which portion(s) of the bar exam to focus on (e.g., maybe you need to focus on multiple-choice strategy, essay organization, timing tips, etc.)
- how information is conveyed (e.g., if you are an auditory learner, the tutor can teach in a style that benefits your auditory learning style)
- a bar exam tutoring schedule that aligns with your personal study schedule (and if you don’t have a personal schedule, a tutor can help you make one!)
- bar exam tips that are specific to your needs
The advantages of the one-on-one attention you receive from a bar exam tutor cannot be overstated!
2. A tailored approach based on your strengths and weaknesses
A tutor can help identify your weaknesses and turn them into strengths. If you have taken the bar exam before, your score report and/or past essays will be a valuable source of information for the tutor. If this is your first time taking the bar exam, identifying how you are performing in sessions and on assigned essays or multiple-choice exams goes a long way toward figuring out what to focus on in a tutoring session.
A tutor can also help you turn your strengths into super-strengths! If you are an excellent writer, for example, a tutor can help you use your writing skills to write a structured, tailored, bar exam essay. We find that some students ignore their areas of strength when studying — i.e., if they are good writers, they will not practice essays. We recommend the exact opposite — that is, if you have a strength, it is worth putting in some time to develop it even further so that you maximize your bar exam score.
A bar exam tutor can keep you accountable. A major problem with many commercial courses is that nobody is checking in on you on a regular basis. A tutor that meets with you once a week is a great way to inspire you to stay on top of everything you have to do.
You are more likely to accomplish your tasks if you know that someone will be checking in. You are more likely to complete essays if you know someone is expecting to receive them from you. And you are more likely to memorize the material if you know someone will be quizzing you!
Many students state that this was one of the major benefits to regularly meeting with a bar exam tutor.
The bar exam is a stressful experience. You may feel anxious or nervous about studying, about the test itself, about your scores on practice exams, about what will happen if you don’t pass, about what will happen if you do pass….it is not easy to study for the bar exam!
A bar exam tutor who has been through the bar exam — and who has helped many students get through the test — can be an immense source of comfort, consolation, and honest advice. For many students, the mental and emotional support that a bar exam tutor provides is just as important as the instruction. Being able to feel more confident — and less anxious — walking into the bar exam also increases your chances of passing the exam. Thus, this is one of the many unspoken advantages of hiring a bar exam tutor.
Not only has your bar exam tutor passed the bar exam themselves, but your tutor has also helped others pass the bar exam! Your bar exam tutor should have time-tested techniques to help you pass the bar exam, whether it is your first time taking it or whether you have taken it multiple times.
This experience will serve you well. The tutor will know how to instruct you, guide you, and work with a study plan to ultimately ensure success on the bar exam!
Interested in bar exam tutoring?
Learn more about our bar exam private tutoring options here.
Go to the next topic, Topic 3: Five questions to ask before you hire a bar exam tutor.
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!