I Failed The Kansas Bar Exam. What Should I Do?
Let’s say it is the worst-case scenario: You’ve received your bar exam results only to learn that you’ve failed the Kansas Bar Exam. This is an incredibly disappointing moment. You may not know how to share this news with family and friends or how to proceed next. Below we provide you with some advice on the process of having to study and sit for the bar exam again.
Update: If you failed the Kansas Bar Exam, check out this new, excellent, and free guide on what to do if you failed the Uniform Bar Exam.
I Failed The Kansas Bar Exam. What Should I Do?
1. Carefully review your score report.
The minimum passing scaled score on the Kansas Bar Exam is 266 (out of a possible 400 points). Your overall score breaks down as follows: the MBE is worth 50%, the essays are worth 30% and the MPT is worth 20%. Kansas is a Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) jurisdiction.
To see what your score report means, check out this post called “What does my Uniform Bar Exam Score Report mean?” When looking at your score report, analyze what area you fell short on – the MBE, the MEE, the MPTs, or some combination of them. This will help you decide where you need to change your study strategy. If you need help with this step, feel free to contact us here. We are happy to tell you what went well and what it looks like ou can improve on based on your score report.
2. If possible, order your answers to the essays and MPT.
It is unclear on their website if Kansas allows examinees to order their essay and MPT answers. To determine your approach to upcoming exam, it is necessary to figure out missed out on points on the last exam. Therefore, if possible, we recommend ordering your answers to the essays and MPT. (If you are permitted to do this, instructions on how to request your written answers will likely be with your score breakdown that is mailed the day results are released.)
While no one wants to relive his or her mistakes, this is an invaluable step if you failed the Kansas bar exam. You can increase your essay score with some tweaks in organization. You might learn that you missed out on points because you neglected to discuss issues that you didn’t consider important. Or you might learn that timing was your problem. Regardless, knowing your strengths and weaknesses will help you to decide what your next step should be.
3. Assess how you studied to determine why you did not pass the Kansas bar exam.
Figuring out why you failed the Kansas bar exam is not something you want to do right after receiving your score report. Take some time for yourself and when you are ready, sit down and critically evaluate how you prepared for the exam. You want to ask your self a number of questions, including:
- Did you study effectively and productively?
- Was your bar prep course (if you used one) helpful in preparing you for both the MBE and written portion of the exam?
- Did you practice using real MBE questions and real essay questions?
- How many timed exams did you take?
- Did you memorize the black letter law for the most highly tested issues?
Please check out our post for a comprehensive list of questions to ask yourself. No one knows the answers to these questions better than you do. It is an important step in figuring out your approach to the next exam.
4. Consider what bar prep options are available to you for the upcoming exam.
Look into resources that will help you pass the Kansas Bar Exam. If you are looking for a change from your commercial course, you are in luck! (In fact, we truly do not recommend you take your commercial course twice . . .). You need to do something different if you want to pass. Below we list some additional resources that we offer. We have a range of products and services and can tailor a program to you. If you are interested in hearing bar prep options that are right for you, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!