5 Advantages of Starting Bar Prep Early
Starting bar prep early is a great idea. And for some, starting early is truly the key to passing the bar exam. We have talked before about who should start bar prep early. In this post, we talk about the advantages of starting bar prep early! We also talk about a few disadvantages of starting bar prep early and how you can combat those disadvantages.
5 Advantages of Starting Bar Prep Early
Here are five of the reasons you should start bar prep early!
1. You can learn the law earlier.
The earlier you start, the earlier you can learn the law. It is best to start with your hardest subjects. (For most, this is Real Property and Contracts.) Review the law before you even start your bar exam course and it will be familiar when you look at it again.
Many bar review courses expect you to learn these difficult subjects in 2 or 3 days. So, if you are able to learn them earlier, you can really take your time and spend weeks on them, if necessary. Even if you only get through one or two subjects during your early bar prep, that will be a big help once you get into the thick of bar exam preparation.
2. You can figure out how you learn – and save yourself a lot of time!
A lot of bar exam students do not know how to memorize, or learn, the law. If you can figure out how you best memorize ahead of time, you will start bar prep with this critical skill. You will not have to waste time trying to figure it out while you already have enough on your plate.
It can help you to take some learning tests to see what your learning style is. This will help you figure out how to best learn your outlines during bar prep.
3. You can become familiar with the bar exam essay structure.
Past essay questions as well as sample answers are readily available on most board of law examiners’ websites. (They are also available on the NCBE website – ncbex.org – if you are taking the Uniform Bar Exam or a bar exam that administers the Multistate Essay Exam as part of its exam.) By reviewing these, you can become familiar with the essay structure and become familiar with how they are different than law school exams.
This can give you a leg up when you begin bar exam prep!
4. You will feel more confident and less stressed out!
If you start bar prep early, you will be more confident and you will feel less stressed out during bar prep. Anxiety can take a toll on bar exam students. If you suffer from anxiety, it can be harder to study, more difficult to remember the law, and it can cloud your mind during the actual bar exam. On the contrary, if you start early, you will be more confident. You will know the law better, feel more in control, and will walk into the bar exam with a clear mind. This alone is a good reason to start bar prep early!
5. You are more likely to pass the bar exam!
If you start early, you have more time to learn the law, more time to master strategies, and you are simply more likely to pass the bar exam! This is no doubt the biggest advantage of starting bar prep early!
Are there disadvantages to starting bar prep early? Yes. The primary disadvantages are:
- Burnout. If you do not take breaks, make sure to eat right, sleep, and exercise, or make time for yourself, then there is a chance you will suffer from burnout. This does more harm than good as if you feel burnt out, you will have a harder time working efficiently as the bar exam nears. You can combat this by making sure you take breaks and take care of yourself from the very beginning.
- Forgetting what you learned. If you learn Real Property really well a year before the bar exam and never review it, you will not remember it by the time you take the bar exam! You can combat this by making sure you regularly review the material you learn during early bar prep.
Wondering how to start studying early?
If you are looking for tips on how to start bar prep early, check out this post where we discuss how to start prepping for the bar exam in law school.
Sign up for our free early bar prep campaign!
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- Bar Exam Crash Course and Mini Outlines for a helpful overview of the Uniform Bar Exam components
- MBE One-Sheets, MEE One-Sheets, MPT One-sheets —rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!