In general, is a good idea to write a diversity statement so long as you have the time to write a clear, well-thought-out and authentic statement. The main point of a diversity statement is to show how you can contribute to the diversity of the law school by adding a unique perspective to the class. However, you also want your statement to show that you are a likable, genuine, and interesting person who can write in a clear and effective manner.
Almost everyone can contribute to the diversity of the law student class in at least one way. If you are unsure where to begin or what to include, ask yourself if you are different than the majority of your peers in any of the following categories:
- Ethnic background
- Socioeconomic status
- Sexual Orientation
- Life experiences (Were you homeschooled? Did you live in a different country growing up? Do you have a family member with a disability?)
- Family (Are you a twin? Do you belong to a very large family? Were you adopted?)
- Career(s) to date (Did you do a different job before law school? Do you have your own business? Do you have unique job experiences?)
- Degrees or Other Education
- Physical disabilities or challenges that you have overcome
A few points to remember when you write your diversity statement:
First, do not feel sorry for yourself, blame others, or show hostility in your personal statement. Sometimes this is difficult to do if a past experience isn’t particularly positive. We recommend that you talk about what you are grateful for or, at the very least, how your background/experience has made you a well-rounded, mature person.
Second, write in a manner that is genuine and authentic. If you do not write in your own voice about a life experience that you feel deeply impacted by, it will be very obvious to those reading your statement.
Third, make sure that you show how your background or experiences will add a unique and invaluable perspective to the law school class. This is the primary point of a diversity statement so do not lose sight of it.
[display-posts include_content=”true” id=”24541″]