If you are having trouble with the MBE (multistate bar exam), you are not alone. Several students complain that they complete several practice questions but never seem to see an improved score. They answer 100 questions a day but it doesn’t make a difference. Certainly, their lack of improvement isn’t due to lack of effort. If you find yourself in this category, you may realize that answering 100 questions a day is not what you need to do to improve. So what, exactly, is it that you need to do?
Why Am I Having Trouble With the MBE?
There could be a multitude of reasons that you are having trouble with the MBE. These reasons could include:
- You don’t understand the law. If you do not understand the difference between, say, res judicata and collateral estoppel. Or if you do not have a bigger picture of Real Property in your head, you are going to struggle. You can fix this by attending lecture through your commercial course, or pursuing other options such as private tutoring.
- You know the broader picture of the law but you have not memorized the details. This is probably the most common reason students struggle with the MBE. Many students understand the general picture but struggle with the details.
- You have memorized the law but you don’t know what it means, so you have trouble applying it.
- You get tricked by answer choices and even though you know the answer, you choose the wrong one. Sometimes this requires a confidence boost — so you do not change your answer at the last minute!
- You struggle with legal vocabulary and bubble in the wrong answer choice because you are confused about what the question is asking or what the answer choices say.
- You have not been exposed to enough MBE questions. This requires more practice!
Options to figure out what you struggle with on the MBE:
- One thing you can do right now is to start taking a slower and more methodical approach to MBE questions. This alone can help point you into the right direction. See this post for a very slow and methodical approach. It will help you identify what you struggle with so that you can then fix your approach.
- You can sign up for MBE tutoring or our MBE Strategies Workshop. This two-hour session can give you key MBE strategies to help you slow down so that when you are answering questions you can actually see your score improve (rather than just furiously answering a bunch of questions and never seeing any results).
Seeking MBE Assistance?
Seeking MBE Assistance?
- 📘 MBE Guide: Equip yourself with our FREE expert-crafted bar exam and MBE guides.
- Free Bar Exam Resource Center: Discover top resources, articles, and free webinars led by renowned bar exam professionals.
Top Resources as Vouched by our Students:
- MBE One-Sheets: One of our most highly acclaimed bar exam supplements!
- MBE Private Tutoring: Opt for personalized, effective strategies.
- On Demand Bar Exam Course: Comprehensive bar exam preparation.
- Bar Exam Crash Course and Mini Outlines: Acclaimed and effective for a quick refresher.
- MBE Mastery Class, Real MBE Questions, and MBE Guide: Elevate your MBE preparation with these high-quality MBE supplements!