Which States have Adopted the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE)?
*Updated April 19, 2022
The Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) is an exam promulgated by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE). More and more states are adopting this uniform test, which, rather than testing any specific state law, tests the majority law. It is being quickly adopted across the nation! These states are listed below.
Please be sure to check the NCBE’s website as well for the latest information!
Which States have Adopted the UBE?
The 41 jurisdictions that have adopted, or will soon adopt, the UBE are:
- Michigan (Feb 2023)
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- Washington DC
- West Virginia
- U.S. Virgin Islands
Some predicted that after the state of New York announced its adoption of the UBE beginning for the July 2016 bar exam, that every state would eventually switch to a UBE state. There are differing theories on whether states will follow suit and adopt the UBE—as well as whether they should adopt the UBE.
Some people think a uniform test is needed as it provides uniformity in grading and allows lawyers to transfer to other states to practice. They say that testing power should be within the hands of the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) which has more testing resources and experience.
Others think that the NCBE shouldn’t have so much power, that the bar exam is already “uniform” enough with the multistate bar exam, and that the idea that lawyers can easily transfer their scores to other jurisdictions is faulty (since most scores are only good for two to five years anyway, thus requiring a lawyer to sit for a bar exam and/or apply for character and fitness clearance after that time period anyway, regardless of which state bar exam they passed).
Regardless of whether the move toward the UBE is good or bad, the trend toward adopting the UBE continues, as more states move to adopt the test each year.
To read more about what the Uniform Bar Exam is like, please see this post on the Uniform Bar Exam.
Looking for a fresh, new approach to the Uniform Bar Exam? We specialize in helping first-time and repeat takers pass the bar exam. Check out the advantages of taking our affordable On Demand Course here.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)