Please see our new, most updated, free MBE Guide here!
Where to Find the Best MBE Practice Questions
You may wonder where to find the best MBE questions. Many commercial courses offer practice MBE questions. However, unfortunately, these questions are not the best MBE questions available. The reason that many commercial course MBE questions are sub-par is that most commercial courses do not offer real MBE questions. That is, they invent their own questions rather than using questions that have appeared on past bar exams.
(We believe the reason that commercial courses tend not to offer real MBE questions is most likely because they do not want to pay the hefty licensing fee that is required by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE). Further, many students do not know that there are real MBE questions available or that courses do not offer them.) Unfortunately, students that depend on course-invented questions generally are not studying in the best way possible.
The best way to study for the MBE is to use the best MBE questions! And the best MBE questions are real NCBE-licensed MBE questions.
What are “real” MBE questions?
Real MBE questions are those that the NCBE creates. Many of these NCBE-released questions appeared on past bar exams. They reflect the style and level of difficulty of the questions you can expect to see on the bar exam.
Why are real MBE questions the best MBE questions available?
There are a few reasons that real MBE questions are the best MBE practice questions available. Here, we list many of the reasons that you should use these questions instead of (or in addition to) commercial course questions:
- First, you will get used to the format of the MBE. Real MBE questions are written in a very specific style that is different than questions invented by commercial courses. Real MBE questions are very well written and they go through a multi-stage “testing process” to make sure they are fair. Some students who only use commercial course-invented MBE questions are completely thrown off their game when they walk into the Multistate Bar Exam and see questions written in a completely different style than they are used to practicing.
- You will see how the NCBE tests specific areas of law. Some issues appear on the MBE in the same way repeatedly. By being exposed to how issues are tested ahead of time, you are more likely to answer similar questions correctly on the MBE. We have seen patterns in MBE questions. For example, some questions released in 1992 are very similar to questions written in 2017! (Check out our MBE Favorites Series if you want to learn more about that!)
- You will know what level of difficulty to expect on the exam. The bar exam is difficult and it tests the nuances of the law. Some course-invented questions are too easy. Others are not well written at all or are overly difficult and nuanced. By practicing with real MBE questions, you will be prepared for the level of difficulty to expect on test day.
- You will feel more confident and prepared for the bar exam. You will walk into the MBE knowing that you have prepared in the best way possible. A positive outlook is crucial to passing the bar exam! Knowing that you have completed released MBE questions will help you walk into the MBE confidently and ready to conquer the exam.
- You are more likely to pass the bar exam. Virtually every student we talk to who uses released MBE questions have nothing but positive things to say. They often attribute their passing score to practicing with real MBE questions. On the contrary, students that use MBE questions invented by a course often complain that the questions on the MBE did not reflect the style of questions that they practiced.
Sources for the Best MBE Questions
Here, we list a few sources for MBE questions. These sources differ in price and quantity of questions offered.
1. JD Advising MBE question exams
We have MBE questions available for purchase on our website, including a 200-question MBE test with detailed and lengthy answer explanations. We also offer released Civil Procedure questions. You can read more about our MBE questions and purchase them here.
We like this book. The explanations are good and it is one of the cheapest options available. (It also has the least questions but still gives a good amount of practice with over 500 questions.) It is divided into about 60 questions per subject then has a full test at the end. It includes Civil Procedure questions (but these are not actually released questions, as they were not available at the time of publishing, and these Civil Procedure questions are not reflective of the kind you will see on the MBE. You can find real Civil Procedure MBE questions here.) The price varies depending on if you buy the book new or used.
Read our review of the Strategies and Tactics book here if you want to see the pros and cons of purchasing this book.
Adaptibar advertises that it uses actually released MBE questions. This online-only course is ideal for students who like to answer questions on their phones or electronically. Just like the Strategies and Tactics book, Adaptibar does not have released Civil Procedure questions to our knowledge (they only have Civil Procedure questions that they invented). They have over 1,500 released questions. The cost is about $400. They are pricey.
This is the organization that writes the MBE. They have four 100-question exams online (called MBE “Online Practice Exams” or MBE OPE’s). Each MBE exam is $50. Note that these exams do not contain Civil Procedure questions. Some students are able to print the 100-question exams but it best to plan to do them online. It is also hard to answer questions one-by-one because you have to keep opening new windows to see the answer choices. Further, some students say that these questions are “too easy” and do not reflect the MBE questions that they see on the exam.
The NCBE also offers a 210-question study aid for $85 (electronic) or $100 (print) released at the end of 2017 (which we offer as well, here.) The questions are excellent! It has 30 released Civil Procedure questions which are great sources of practice. The problem with the study aid is that it does not come with answer explanations! Thus, it is very limited in its usefulness because you will not know why you answered a question correctly or incorrectly. (We recommend you purchase our MBE Study Aid if you are looking for answer explanations!)
Remember to start with just one of these sources. If you buy questions from all available sources, you will see repeat questions since they are all getting their questions from the same sources!
Looking for Free MBE Questions?
We have an MBE Tips Series where we send 1–2 MBE tips per week (with questions we invented). You can read past MBE questions and sign up for our MBE Tips Series here!
Go to the next topic, Topic 13: MBE Timing Tips.
Looking for MBE Help?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star MBE course that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Free popular bar exam guides (an MBE guide, a guide on how to pass the bar exam, and a guide to hiring a bar exam tutor) written by bar exam experts!
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand Bar Exam Course
- Our NEW MBE Mastery Class, which covers 35 recently released MBE questions in an engaging and helpful way to help you boost your MBE score!
- MBE private tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MBE.
- Real MBE questions —the best practice questions available!
- An MBE guide, which has a guaranteed 7-point score increase.
You can read more about our MBE services here.