What Are The UBE Tested Subjects?
In this post, we cover the UBE tested subjects that could appear on each portion of the Uniform Bar Exam. Read further to see what you might encounter on your bar exam day!
What Are The UBE Tested Subjects?
The MBE Portion
The MBE (Multistate Bar Examination) portion tests seven different subjects, many of which are required to graduate from law school. Those subjects are: (1) Contracts and Sales; (2) Constitutional Law; (3) Criminal Law and Procedure (4) Civil Procedure; (5) Evidence; (6) Real Property; and (7) Torts.
Each of these subjects accounts for approximately 25 questions on the MBE portion of the exam. That’s 175 total scored questions! Wait, aren’t there 200 questions on the MBE? There are! The examiners refer to the remaining 25 questions as experimental questions. The examiners disburse the experimental questions amongst the questions that count toward your score. These questions are not a factor in determining whether or not you pass the bar exam. The bar examiners include experimental questions as a way to determine what questions to include on future exams.
The MEE Portion
The MEE (Multistate Essay Examination) portion of the UBE tests a multitude of subjects, some of which might be completely new to you. These subjects include (1) Business Associations; (2) Civil Procedure; (3) Conflicts of Law; (4) Constitutional Law; (5) Contracts; (6) Criminal Law and Procedure; (7) Evidence; (8) Family Law; (9) Real Property; (10) Torts; (11) Trusts and Estates, and (12) Secured Transactions.
Out of all these subjects, the MEE only includes six essay questions testing six subject matters. Even though the MEE only tests six subjects, students still need to familiarize themselves with all twelve subjects. Trust us, it’s always better to be safe than sorry when preparing for the bar exam!
Unlike the MBE portion of the Bar Exam, which tests all of the subjects listed above on every bar exam, the MEE is much more random. You simply do not know what you subjects are going to be on the exam with 100% certainty. However, some subjects show up more frequently than others. We previously posted a frequency chart that shows which subjects are tested the most often!
The MPT Portion
The MPT (Multistate Performance Test) doesn’t focus on testing certain legal subjects. Instead, the MPT focuses on putting applicants in simulated situations commonly found in the legal world. For example, you may have to draft draft a persuasive brief, client letter, partner memorandum, or complaint. The good news is that the MPT does not test your direct knowledge of black letter law. The MPT portion of the bar exam provides the factual and legal material to be used in your work product. Check out our post that includes some tips for taking the MPT if you want more information on the MPT!
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- Bar Exam Crash Course and Mini Outlines for a helpful overview of the Uniform Bar Exam components
- MBE One-Sheets, MEE One-Sheets, MPT One-sheets —rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!