Whether you are completely self-studying for the Uniform Bar Exam, or whether you are combining UBE self-study with some other method of preparation (private tutoring, a commercial course, etc.), here we tell you some UBE self-study tips to help you gain an advantage over traditional commercial course takers.
Many traditional commercial course takers make mistakes like spending too much time on lecture and too little time memorizing, not using real MBE questions, and not practicing enough essays. Here, we give you tips to maximize your efficiency and gain an advantage walking into the Uniform Bar Exam.
UBE Self-Study Tips: Gain an Advantage over Commercial Course Takers
1. Use real MBE questions.
This is a common tip we tell students because it is so important! Most commercial course takers do not use real MBE questions when they study. Rather, they use questions invented by a commercial course. This is a mistake. The best MBE questions are the ones that are released by the National Conference of Bar Examiners. These questions are the closest you will get to the style and format of the bar exam. Also, they frequently focus on similar issues, so you are likely to have some familiarity with the questions you see on exam day. Check out this post on where to find real MBE questions. We also have some real MBE questions for sale here.
2. Study efficiently for the Multistate Essay Exam.
One mistake a lot of traditional Uniform Bar Exam commercial course students make is that they try to learn every word of every outline. And unfortunately, most outlines are not tailored to what is tested on the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE). This is one of our most important UBE self-study tips because tweaking how you approach the MEE can make a big difference in your score.
The best way to study efficiently for the MEE is to focus on the highly tested issues. The good news is, we have a nice overview of the highly tested issues on the MEE here. (It is FREE and comes with a PDF and a youtube video!) We also have a book of MEE one-sheets for sale if you have some money to spend. But if you don’t, even the free resource will go a long way in helping you study efficiently!
3. Focus on the highly tested MBE topics.
Just like you want to focus on the highly tested topics for the MEE, you also want to focus on the highly tested MBE topics. We have an overview of some of the highly tested MBE topics here.
You will also notice if you purchase the most recently released “real” MBE questions (which you can purchase with answer explanations here) that the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) has a few recent “favorites” that they test over and over again. (We hope to write a post on that soon!)
4. Focus on memorization!
If you are self-studying for the Uniform Bar Exam, you will obviously need outlines to study from. As you use these outlines, make sure you are memorizing them! One of the biggest mistakes we see traditional commercial course students make is that they do not focus on memorization! In this post, we tell you how to memorize your bar exam outlines. If you have not memorized anything before, now is the time to start focusing on memorization!
5. Practice essays and MPTs EVERY SINGLE WEEK.
This may sound obvious, but we cannot tell you how many students practice something like two essays or one MPT during their entire bar prep. In our Uniform Bar Exam course, we assign several essays/MPTs a week and we grade five per week. Our students have stellar essay scores in part due to their practice. We have MEE books and MPT books for sale if you do not have access to past questions. (You can also find some for free on the NCBE website.) Just make sure you are practicing answering MEEs and MPTs as a regular part of your weekly routine.
We hope these UBE self-study tips are helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us or ask in the comments below!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1249.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)