Whether you are completely self-studying for the Uniform Bar Exam, or whether you are combining UBE self-study with some other method of preparation (private tutoring, a commercial course, etc.), here we tell you some UBE self-study tips to help you gain an advantage over traditional commercial course takers.
Many traditional commercial course takers make mistakes like spending too much time on lecture and too little time memorizing, not using real MBE questions, and not practicing enough essays. Here, we give you tips to maximize your efficiency and gain an advantage walking into the Uniform Bar Exam.
UBE Self-Study Tips: Gain an Advantage over Commercial Course Takers
1. Use real MBE questions.
This is a common tip we tell students because it is so important! Most commercial course takers do not use real MBE questions when they study. Rather, they use questions invented by a commercial course. This is a mistake. The best MBE questions are the ones that are released by the National Conference of Bar Examiners. These questions are the closest you will get to the style and format of the bar exam. Also, they frequently focus on similar issues, so you are likely to have some familiarity with the questions you see on exam day. Check out this post on where to find real MBE questions. We also have some real MBE questions for sale here.
2. Study efficiently for the Multistate Essay Exam.
One mistake a lot of traditional Uniform Bar Exam commercial course students make is that they try to learn every word of every outline. And unfortunately, most outlines are not tailored to what is tested on the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE). This is one of our most important UBE self-study tips because tweaking how you approach the MEE can make a big difference in your score.
The best way to study efficiently for the MEE is to focus on the highly tested issues. The good news is, we have a nice overview of the highly tested issues on the MEE here. (It is FREE and comes with a PDF and a youtube video!) We also have a book of MEE one-sheets for sale if you have some money to spend. But if you don’t, even the free resource will go a long way in helping you study efficiently!
3. Focus on the highly tested MBE topics.
Just like you want to focus on the highly tested topics for the MEE, you also want to focus on the highly tested MBE topics. We have an overview of some of the highly tested MBE topics here.
You will also notice if you purchase the most recently released “real” MBE questions (which you can purchase with answer explanations here) that the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) has a few recent “favorites” that they test over and over again. (We hope to write a post on that soon!)
4. Focus on memorization!
If you are self-studying for the Uniform Bar Exam, you will obviously need outlines to study from. As you use these outlines, make sure you are memorizing them! One of the biggest mistakes we see traditional commercial course students make is that they do not focus on memorization! In this post, we tell you how to memorize your bar exam outlines. If you have not memorized anything before, now is the time to start focusing on memorization!
5. Practice essays and MPTs EVERY SINGLE WEEK.
This may sound obvious, but we cannot tell you how many students practice something like two essays or one MPT during their entire bar prep. In our Uniform Bar Exam course, we assign several essays/MPTs a week and we grade five per week. Our students have stellar essay scores in part due to their practice. We have MEE books and MPT books for sale if you do not have access to past questions. (You can also find some for free on the NCBE website.) Just make sure you are practicing answering MEEs and MPTs as a regular part of your weekly routine.
We hope these UBE self-study tips are helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us or ask in the comments below!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!