Tips for Michigan Bar Exam Takers
In this post, we list some tips for Michigan bar exam takers. These are tips specifically for those taking the Michigan bar exam. Many of these tips are geared toward correcting mistakes that Michigan bar exam takers commonly make!
NOTE: Michigan is switching to the Uniform Bar Exam starting with the February 2023 administration! Find more information here.
Tips for Michigan Bar Exam Takers
1. Practice essays regularly.
Many commercial courses simply do not assign enough bar exam essays. We assign our course students 5-12 essays per week and this makes a big difference in their score! We have students score in the 160’s and 170’s every administration because of the high exposure they get to essay questions. Becoming acquainted with Michigan bar exam essays is the #1 way you can improve your chances of passing the Michigan bar exam. Those who are prepared are very well rewarded!
So make it part of your daily routine to look at 1-2 essays. You will be so happy you did by the time you take the bar exam!
2. Time yourself!!
The Michigan bar exam is composed of an essay day and MBE day. The Michigan bar exam essays are long! And they seem to be getting longer and more complex as time goes on. Remember, you have to allocate about 20 minutes per question if you want to finish the bar exam in time. It is so important to time yourself early and often!
You can start with just taking three-question one-hour timed exams. Then, start taking two-hour timed exams composed of six questions. Then, make it three-hour timed exams composed of nine questions. Do the same with the multiple-choice portion. I used to set aside one morning a week to practice timing. Doing so will not only help you maximize your chances of finishing the exam but it will also give you confidence going into the exam.
3. Get released MBE questions.
Many students do not realize that there are real MBE questions available (in fact, we sell real MBE questions here)! Commercial courses tend to invent their own questions and they are not nearly as good as the actual released questions.
Real questions are questions that have been written by the National Conference of Bar Examiners. They mimic the style and format of the MBE. They also tend to retest many of the same issues over and over again. Some students swear they see repeat questions on the actual bar exam. Getting released MBE questions can go a long way to improving your score!
4. Study smart.
This means: focus on the highly tested issues! You can see many of the highly tested MBE topics here. We have many of the highly tested issues on the Michigan bar exam for free here. (This includes a youtube video and a PDF guide!). You can also purchase our How to Pass the Michigan Bar Exam book (which has the highly tested issues for each Michigan bar exam subject in one page, each)!
5. Take care of yourself and stay positive.
One of the hardest things about the bar exam is taking care of yourself. We see students fail every administration because their nerves get to them or they develop bad sleep schedules and are sleep deprived for the test. Make sure you are taking care of yourself and doing what you need to do to remain stress-free and healthy. This is a very overlooked tip. But since we have seen students fail for this very reason, we try to remind students to make mental and physical health a priority!
We hope you enjoyed these tips for Michigan bar exam takers. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!