The Michigan Board of Law Examiners updated their security policy to disallow watches in the testing center. The news release explains that “[d]ue to evolving security concerns, the Michigan Board of Law Examiners will no longer allow watches or timepieces of any kind in the Michigan bar examination. Watches and timepieces have been added to the prohibited list of items. Clocks will be placed throughout the examination site so that everyone taking the examination can readily tell the time.”
We were saddened to hear of the update (and we are not really sure what the security concerns are?) because we usually highly recommend that Michigan bar exam students set a watch to 12:00 to more accurately keep track of their timing. Now we recommend that Michigan bar exam takers get used to keeping track of their timing by using a clock when they practice, rather than a watch.
What are you allowed to bring into the testing center according to the Michigan Board of Law Examiners?
The updated security policy states that applicants are “not permitted to bring any items into the examination room other than a clear plastic food storage type bag (maximum size one gallon), which may only contain” the following items:
- Admission Certificate
- Government Issued Photo I.D.
- Earplugs (not the big earphone/headphone type)
- Pens, pencils, erasers
- Medication and medical items
- Facial tissue
Non-digital watch or timepiece*
- One clear plastic bottle of water/juice/soda per exam session
Click here to read the updated security policy as well as the release by the Michigan Board of Law Examiners.
Looking to Pass the Michigan Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star bar exam course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- A Michigan essay course which teaches students our time-tested approach to Michigan essays
- A Michigan Bar Exam seminar for those looking for an overview of the highly tested areas of the Michigan Bar Exam
- Michigan Bar Exam One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!