Taking the Michigan Bar Exam? Is it worth it to review Professional Responsibility?
If you look at our Michigan bar exam frequency chart, you will notice something interesting — Professional Responsibility has not been tested the last five Michigan Bar Exam administrations. Not only that, but prior to February 2017, it was tested practically every single bar exam! Click the picture below to make it larger.
Is it still worth it to review Professional Responsibility in preparation for the Michigan Bar Exam?
Supposedly, some time between July 2016 and February 2017, the Michigan Board of Law Examiners realized that applicants for the Michigan Bar Exam were required to take the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (“MPRE”). After that realization, they reportedly told some individuals that they would no longer be testing Professional Responsibility. So far, that has been true — they have not tested Professional Responsibility on the Michigan Bar Exam.
However, this does not mean you can ignore the subject!
Professional Responsibility is still listed in Rule 3 — where the Michigan Board lists the subjects that are fair game for testing on the Michigan bar exam! (This rule is pictured below.)
So you should still review it prior to taking the Michigan bar exam. Knowing that it is less likely to be tested, however, may influence the depth and scope of your review — that is, maybe you will not spend as much time as you would have spent on it otherwise. But you don’t want to ignore it completely.
See Rule 3 below:
As a side note, it is also worth it to note that “garnishments and attachments” are listed as topics that could be tested on the Michigan bar exam. And, in fact, these were recently tested! Some commercial courses do not cover garnishments or attachments at all. If this is the case with your course, make sure to review these topics separately. Our guess is they are more likely to appear on the exam than Professional Responsibility is!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!