In this post, we rank the subjects that are most worth your time when you are studying for the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE). It can be helpful to know the UBE subjects that are the most important because (a) you can dedicate more time to them during bar prep, and (b) if you are in law school, you can take classes that are focused on those subjects.
Study Smart for the Uniform Bar Exam: Subjects Most Worth your Time
Here we rank the subjects most worth your time (i.e. those that are highly tested!) to the ones that are not worth as much of your time.
- Civil Procedure. This is the Uniform Bar Exam subject that is most worth your time! There will be 25 scored multistate bar exam (MBE) questions on this subject. Further, on most UBE exams, there is also an essay question that tests Civil Procedure! Thus, this is the most important UBE subject.
- Contracts, Real Property, Evidence, and Torts. These four Uniform Bar Exam subjects are important because there are 25 MBE questions on these subjects. Further, they frequently show up on the essay portion of the bar exam.
- Constitutional Law and Criminal Law and Procedure. These are important subjects because you will see 25 MBE questions on these subjects. These subjects are also tested on the essay portion of the Uniform Bar Exam, but they are not tested as much as the subjects listed above.
- Agency and Partnership, Corporations and LLCs, Secured Transactions. These three subjects do not show up on the MBE, but they are heavily tested on the essay portion. Thus, these rank next in line!
- Decedents’ Estates, Trusts and Future Interests, and Family Law. These subjects are not tested on the MBE and while they are tested on the essay portion, they are not tested quite as much as the subjects mentioned above.
- Conflicts of Law. This subjectw ill not appear on the MBE. Further, when it is tested on the multistate essay exam (which is not often!) it appears with another subject. So, it is not a “standalone” subject.
Note that just because some subjects are more highly tested than others does not mean that you should ignore the other subjects! You should dedicate time to studying each subject. If you want to see a chart when these Uniform Bar Exam subjects were tested, check out this chart. We hope this helps you study smart for the Uniform Bar Exam!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)