Somm: A Movie I Recommend to Bar Exam Takers!
Somm is an excellent documentary about four Master Sommelier candidates who try to pass the Master Sommelier exam.
The Master Sommelier exam is an extremely difficult exam − similar to the bar exam except with an even lower passage rate. Anyone who has taken the bar exam will appreciate the enormous pressure that Master Sommelier (MS) candidates are under.
It is common knowledge that the bar exam is an extremely difficult test. It is only offered twice a year. It has a 50% passage rate in some states (if not lower – California’s rate was 40%!) It is a grueling two-day exam in most states.
The Master Sommelier test is also an extremely hard exam. It is only offered once a year. It has a super low passage rate (about 8 percent overall!). They call the Master Sommelier test “the hardest test you never heard of.” There are about 200 people who have passed the test — that is, 200 master sommeliers — in the world.
The Master Sommelier test is a three-day exam. It has a service portion, a written portion, and a tasting portion. The written portion requires extensive knowledge of wine, beer, and spirits. The Master Sommelier candidates in the documentary have thousands of flashcards to study for the written portion. The service portion requires salesmanship and the ability to serve wine to customers as well as a knowledge of what foods pair with wine. The notoriously difficult tasting portion requires candidates to taste six wines – three whites and three reds. After tasting each wine, candidates have to state the grape variety in the wines, the region that the wine came from, and the vintage of the wine.
Candidates for the Master Sommelier exam talk about how they have to become obsessed with wine and the material that they work with and make it their life in order to pass the exam. They also talk about the negative impact it has on their relationships and their families − all statements that I frequently hear my bar exam students make!
Our guess is that even if you don’t like wine, if you recently took the bar exam, you will probably relate to the MS candidates in this movie! (If you’re interested in watching the trailer to Somm, click here.)
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1149.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
We also have several additional MBE, MEE, and MPT products available.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
[…] read my last movie recommendation for Somm, click this link. I especially recommend Somm to bar exam […]
[…] only people who are allowed to complain are those few-and-far-between people taking the Master Sommelier exam to become master wine tasters. Their exam is legitimately the worst. But even then, we’ll only […]
Comments are closed.