The Barbri mock exam creates a lot of stress among students. They wonder:
- Is the Barbri mock exam harder than the actual exam?
- Can you score low on the Barbri exam and still pass the real exam?
- What “percentage” is passing on the Barbri mock exam?
Instead of asking these questions, guessing at whether you will receive a passing score, or worrying about how hard the MBE will be in comparison to the Barbri mock exam, we recommend you take a lot of the guesswork and stress out of it and use actual released bar exam questions.
That way, the only question is: Am I getting enough questions right to pass? You do not have to worry about how these questions compare to “real” questions as they were written by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) so they are reflective of what you will see. (We explain at the bottom of this post what score you should aim for on the released MBE exams.)
There are two sources that we recommend for actual released questions:
1. Source #1: Strategies & Tactics for the MBE (Emanuel Bar Review)
We love this book and we buy it for all of our students. (Note: We are affiliated with amazon, but even if we weren’t, we would still recommend you buy it here as this is the cheapest we have seen it in a long time!) It is currently listed at $52.38!
With this book, you will have two 100-question exams at the end (a well as about 60 questions per topic). These are actual released NCBE-promulgated questions. So it is the best resource you can use to determine if your score is passing.
Note: If you have already completed a full Barbri mock MBE exam, don’t feel the need to take another full day to do six hours of testing. See below for more on this.
Note: This book does not have released civil procedure questions. So that is the one drawback to using this book. There are very few released civil procedure questions available. However, we do have them available on our website so keep reading!
2. Source #2: JD Advising 200-Question Exam
We sell real MBE questions here including a 200-question exam composed of all NCBE-promulgated questions. These questions were just released at the end of 2017 so they do not appear in many other released questions sources (including the Strategies and Tactics 6th Edition). We also have released civil procedure questions in our 100-question exam! We have composed these questions into a mixed exam that mirrors the bar exam, including the formatting.
This source is recommended for you if you:
- have already completed the Strategies and Tactics 6th edition and need some “new” released questions to work with; or
- if you want an electronic copy delivered right to your inbox so you can get started right away (we have both electronic and hard copies available).
Either one of these sources will be much better than the Barbri mock exam as these are actual released questions! (To our knowledge, the Barbri simulated exam does not use real questions!)
I’ve already completed a full Barbri mock exam. Do I need to complete another 6 hours of testing?
No — unless you struggle with timing (in which case you may want to read our MBE timing tips and then practice more timed exam). Instead, just take one three-hour exam as it will give you the information you need.
What MBE score is considered a passing score on the real exam?
If you are getting between 60% and 66% correct, you are likely getting a high enough score to pass in your state. Read more about the percentage you need to pass here.
What should I do after I take the exam?
It is very important to add up your score, then slowly go through the questions to determine why you answered each one correctly or incorrectly. Both the Strategies and Tactics book as well as our JD Advising 100-question exams contain detailed explanations. This is critical to make sure you understand the questions. That way if you see a similar question on the MBE (or one that tests a similar issue!) you will get it right!
Help! My score is not passing the MBE. What should I do?
If you are getting score that is not considered passing, do not freak out! Understand two things:
- First of all, there is still time to boost your score before the real exam. We recommend slowly going through the answer choices, determining what you need to work on before the real test. (Also, if you find yourself getting caught up in the nuances consider purchasing our MBE Guide which comes with a 7-point increase guarantee).
- Second of all, it is a good idea to shift your focus to the written portion if you have neglected that. It is much easier to substantially improve your written score in a short amount of time than your MBE score! Make sure you have an essay format down and make sure you are aware of the highly tested areas of law. If your state has an MPT portion, practice MPTs ahead of time! This way, you can make up for a lower MBE score and have a higher written score. Many students do not realize how much easier it is to improve a written score in a brief period of time. Students often tend to over-focus on the MBE portion and neglect the written portion.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!