A Recap of the February 2018 Uniform Bar Exam
A Recap of the February 2018 Uniform Bar Exam (MEE and MPT)
In this post we give you a quick recap of the February 2018 Uniform Bar Exam, including what was tested on the February 2018 Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) and the February 2018 Multistate Performance Test (MPT).
Overall, we are quite happy that we predicted the majority of the subjects (over 80%!) that were tested on the Uniform Bar exam. The topics were still challenging which is to be expected with any bar exam.
February 2018 Uniform Bar Exam Recap
February 2018 Multistate Essay Exam (MEE):
The MEE was very MBE-subject heavy in contrast to the last few February exams. However, we were prepared for the possibility that the Examiners might chose to administer an exam that struck a greater balance between MBE and MEE only subjects.
The following MBE subjects were tested on the MEE:
- Civil Procedure: what type of sanctions a court can issue, at what time can a party ask for sanctions, which party must pay for sanctions
- Contracts: whether UCC or common law governs the contract, contract formation, modification of a common law contract, parole evidence rule
- Criminal Law and Procedure: NGRI defense, whether a defendant is competent to stand trial
- Real Property: breach of the present covenants in a warranty deed, easements, notice of an easement, damages
The following MEE subjects were tested:
- Family Law: validity of premarital agreements, whether marital fault is a bar to child custody, spousal support, division of marital and separate property
- Partnership: withdrawal, breach of the fiduciary duty of loyalty, winding up a general partnership
With the exception of Real Property, all of the aforementioned subjects appeared on our list of predictions. Although Family Law was not included on our main list, it was our wildcard subject! Many of the topics that were tested were covered by our Multistate Essay Exam seminar and MEE one-sheets. We will be updating posts over the next week to note exactly which issues were covered in our UBE Course, our MEE Seminar and the MEE one-sheets.
If you feel uncertain about what you wrote for any of the essays you are not alone! Many students found the Civil Procedure question to be tricky. In addition, a number of examinees reported feeling unsure about their answers to the Criminal Law and Procedure question and the Real Property question. To clear your mind, take a moment to check out our post entitled “How will I feel after the bar exam?”. It is very likely that other examinees are feeling the same way as you.
February 2018 Multistate Performance Test (MPT):
The MPTs were an objective memorandum and a persuasive brief. We suspected the NCBE would test at least one of the traditional tasks this round. And indeed, we were right—we predicted that exam takers would be expected to write a persuasive brief. (For the second MPT we did suspect an opinion letter would be tested but the NCBE stuck with the standard objective memo!) Many examinees found one MPT to be tougher than the other – that is perfectly normal!
This was a tough exam! Try not to get too hung up on what you wrote today. How you feel about your performance does not indicate whether you passed. As for this evening, try to get a good night’s rest so that you can put your best foot forward on the MBE tomorrow.
We hope you found our recap of the February 2018 Uniform Bar Exam helpful!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)
We also have several additional MBE, MEE, and MPT products available.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!