How Should I Prepare To Study For The Bar Exam?
Before you get ready to study for the bar exam, it is a good idea to prepare for this task! It is not enough to simply want to study for the bar exam. You need to proactively prepare for your study time. In this post, we go over how to best prepare to study for the bar exam, based on our previous experience!
How Should I Prepare To Study For The Bar Exam?
1. Eliminate Distractions
In order to fully concentrate on studying, you need to eliminate distractions. So, identify things that take your attention away from studying. Do you get distracted by your phone? Turn off your alerts, and put it somewhere you can’t see it. Are you often sidetracked by social media? At the very least, log out of your accounts when you want to study for the bar exam. Some people disable their accounts completely to make sure they focus wholly on the task at hand!
If none of these options works for you, you can also set up specific times to look at things that distract you. Schedule 15 minutes during a study break to look at Facebook and Twitter, and set them aside when your time is up. It really is as simple as making the decision to remove distractions from your study time and setting up a system to do so ahead of time!
2. Eliminate obligations.
Students often find that family or work obligations cut in on their time to study for the bar exam. Where feasible, seek to eliminate these obligations. See if someone else can pick up chores and errands you typically take care of. Those closest to you will understand you want to focus your attention on the bar. Loved ones are usually happy to take on extra work and give you extra space so you can really focus on studying. They understand that the gift of undivided study time is the best thing they can give you!
3. Create a detailed bar exam study schedule.
Read this post in full to see how to create an effective bar exam study schedule. In short, spell out both the times you plan on studying, and what subjects you will cover, for each study session. We’ve found that students who specify exactly what they plan on studying cover more material, and understand it in more detail, than those who wing it. So, develop and study schedule, and stick to it, when you study for the bar exam!
4. Identify how you learn best.
Although you probably have a good idea how you learn best, reevaluate your approach when you study for the bar exam. If you are unsure how you best learn, see this post to identify your learning style. Then, adapt your approach based on how you score. You might find that you are a better visual learner. Although most people can learn multiple ways, focusing your review on the way you learn best is the most efficient way to work through, and understand, all your bar exam material.
If you can identify how you study and memorize best before you start studying for the bar exam, you can maximize your study time in the months leading up to the exam.
5. Let family and friends know when you are studying.
It’s much easier to be upfront about when you do not want to be disturbed than dropping subtle hints. Be explicit with friends and family about needing time and space while you study for the bar exam. Let them know ahead of time if you will be late or absent from some events if necessary. It is much less stressful on everyone involved to make your needs known upfront. That way, there are no hard feelings or resentment after the fact.
6. Find ways to be healthy!
The rigors of bar exam studying can take their toll on even the healthiest person. So, take some steps to make sure you keep yourself healthy. We have a full post of helpful hints to stay healthy during bar prep right here. In short, make exercise and physical activity part of your study routine. Try to eat healthy foods. Make sure to prioritize sleep so you are physically and mentally ready for the next day. Take breaks so you don’t wear yourself down. Overall, just try to take care of your body so that illness or fatigue won’t slow you down during your review.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
Check out our February 2024 bar exam sale to save on our one-sheets, bar exam outlines, and mastery classes!
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Bar Exam Outlines: Our comprehensive and condensed bar exam outlines present key information in an organized, easy-to-digest layout.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, MPT, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!