Ohio Officially Adopts the Uniform Bar Exam
The state of Ohio will officially adopt the Uniform Bar Exam in 2020. Read further for more details on how this adoption will proceed!
OHIO OFFICIALLY ADOPTS THE UNIFORM BAR EXAM
The Ohio Supreme Court officially announced its unanimous decision to adopt the UBE on August 14. An advisory committee, appointed by the court, reached the conclusion that Ohio should adopt the UBE. Ohio will officially administer the UBE starting in July 2020.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER DEVELOPMENTS TO REPORT RIGHT NOW?
As of right now, no. Ohio has not set a passing score or decided whether it will require a state-specific component. UBE jurisdictions always give the MBE, MEE, and MPT. Some states, however, also decide to give an additional component testing state-specific law. It is unclear at this time exactly how Ohio will proceed.
It is also unclear when Ohio will accept transferred UBE scores.
What will change?
Ohio’s bar exam scoring will definitely change. Right now, the Multistate Bar Exam (multiple choice section) is worth 33.3% of your overall score. The Multistate Performance Test (MPT) is worth 13.33%, and the Ohio essay portion, spread out over two sessions, is worth 53.33%. Under the UBE, the MBE is worth 50%, while the Multistate Essay Examination (MEE) is worth 30% and the MPT is worth 20%. So, the MBE will become a much larger portion of your score!
The format of the exam will change as well. The MBE portion will stay the same, as well as the MPT. However, instead of having two sessions of Ohio essays, there will be a single MEE session, composed of 6 essays.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1099.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets, CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)