The Michigan Board of Law Examiners has announced today that there are changes to Michigan’s bar exam scoring that will become effective beginning the July 2014 exam. The Board of Law Examiners has stated that it is improving the method of scoring on the Michigan bar exam to more accurately measure competence .
The Board hired a “leading expert in the scoring of high stakes tests” to develop a “common scale” to more accurately reflect the competency of the examinees based on the difficulty of the test. The scale should reduce the differences in scoring between examinations. The president of the Michigan Board of Law Examiners said “A passing score should mean the same whether comparing one year to the next or the February and July administrations of the test.”
The Michigan Board of Law Examiners has not released any exact formula or equation, but hopefully the new method of scoring means that more students will pass Michigan’s increasingly difficult bar exam.
Update: The new grading formula did not lead to any more students passing the Michigan bar exam, but did allow the BLE to more closely control the percentage of students that pass the bar exam. To read more about these effects, please see this post on the effects of the new bar exam formula.
For more tips on the Michigan bar exam, see these Michigan bar exam posts.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
- 🌟Bar Exam Free Resource Center: Access our most popular free guides, webinars, and resources to set you on the path to success.
- Free Bar Exam Guides: Expert advice on the MBE, the MEE, passing strategies, and overcoming failure.
- Free Webinars: Get insight from top bar exam experts to ace your preparation.
- 🏆One-Sheets: Our most popular product! Master the Bar Exam with these five-star rated essentials.
- Exclusive Mastery Classes: Dive deep into highly tested areas of the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams in these live, one-time events.
- Specialized Private Tutoring: With years of experience under our belt, our experts provide personalized guidance to ensure you excel.
- Bar Exam Courses: On Demand and Premium options tailored to your needs.
- Bar Exam Crash Course + Mini Outlines: A great review of the topics you need to know!