NEW: Changes to Michigan’s Bar Exam Scoring
The Michigan Board of Law Examiners has announced today that there are changes to Michigan’s bar exam scoring that will become effective beginning the July 2014 exam. The Board of Law Examiners has stated that it is improving the method of scoring on the Michigan bar exam to more accurately measure competence .
The Board hired a “leading expert in the scoring of high stakes tests” to develop a “common scale” to more accurately reflect the competency of the examinees based on the difficulty of the test. The scale should reduce the differences in scoring between examinations. The president of the Michigan Board of Law Examiners said “A passing score should mean the same whether comparing one year to the next or the February and July administrations of the test.”
The Michigan Board of Law Examiners has not released any exact formula or equation, but hopefully the new method of scoring means that more students will pass Michigan’s increasingly difficult bar exam.
Update: The new grading formula did not lead to any more students passing the Michigan bar exam, but did allow the BLE to more closely control the percentage of students that pass the bar exam. To read more about these effects, please see this post on the effects of the new bar exam formula.
For more tips on the Michigan bar exam, see these Michigan bar exam posts.
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- MBE One-Sheets and MEE One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
We also have several additional MBE, MEE, and MPT products available.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
[…] to the lower number of applicants (as well as the fact that they have likely gotten used to that strange grading formula that they started following a few years ago). Below is the research that we did. To be thorough, […]
Comments are closed.