MPT Frequency Analysis
Our MPT frequency chart shows you which tasks are most likely to appear on the multistate performance test (MPT) portion of the bar exam.
There are a few things to note from the chart in conducting an MPT frequency analysis:
- First, the two most popular tasks are the objective memo and persuasive brief. At least one of these tasks shows up virtually every exam (exceptions being July 2015 and Feb 2012). You should be very prepared for these tasks.
- Second, generally, an objective task is tested with a persuasive task. (The objective memo and opinion letter are both “objective” in that they require examinees to write in an objective tone. The persuasive brief and demand letter are both persuasive in that examinees are expected to persuade someone of something.) The examiners tend to like to see if you can write both objectively and persuasively so it is a good bet to expect one of each type of tasks on most MPT exams.
- “Wildcard” tasks appear to be tested pretty evenly in February and July. So, know how to prepare for a wildcard task in case it comes up! We expect that the NCBE will test wildcard tasks even more often now.
- Letters are tested occasionally enough where they are not unexpected. You should be familiar with both demand letters and opinion letters. The primary difference between the two is the tone you use (for demand letters, you use a persuasive tone and for opinion letters, you will use an objective tone). The other difference between them is usually the recipient of a demand letter is an attorney and the recipient of an opinion letter is a client (who is generally not a lawyer). Thus, not only is the tone different but the amount of legalese you will use is different too. For more information on how to form a demand letter on the MPT, see this post. Read this post for more tips on how to write an opinion letter.
Looking for MPT Help?
We offer the following MPT products and services:
- MPT private tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MPT.
- An MPT guide which takes students from the beginning to end in how to write an MPT.
- MPT feedback for those seeking structural and organizational review of practice questions.
- Real MPT questions! We offer all NCBE-released questions from 2000 to present compiled in one book.
- An MPT seminar for those seeking help on how to tackle the MPT.
Also, check out our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!