Is The MEE Difficult On The UBE?
As students begin studying for the Uniform Bar Exam, many students wonder how difficult the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) actually is. While the answer is definitely a matter of opinion, understanding the MEE can go a long way as you prepare for UBE In this post, we cover the question “Is the MEE difficult on the UBE?” and give you some tips to help you on exam day!
Is The MEE Difficult On The UBE?
1. There are 13 MEE Subjects
The number of subjects that can appear on the MEE can certainly be daunting! In total, there are thirteen possible subjects that could be tested on the MEE! These subjects include (1) Agency and Partnership, (2) Corporations and LLCs, (3) Civil Procedure, (4) Conflicts of Law, (5) Constitutional Law, (6) Contracts, (7) Criminal Law and Procedure, (8) Evidence, (9) Family Law, (10) Real Property, (11) Secured Transactions, (12) Torts, and (13) Wills and Trusts. Although learning and memorizing the law for thirteen subjects is a huge undertaking, the MEE is definitely passable. Also, if you’re a good writer, you might find the MEE to be particularly manageable, especially compared to the multiple-choice questions found on the MBE!
2. Pay Attention to Highly Tested MEE Issues
With so many topics that could appear on the MEE, managing your time while studying is a key component to passing this portion of the UBE! While you should certainly study every subject that could appear on the MEE, maximize your time by focusing on subjects that are more likely to appear on the bar exam. For instance, Civil Procedure is tested frequently on the MEE, and examiners often test the same issues (such as subject matter jurisdiction, personal jurisdiction, and venue).
Be efficient and avoid spending too much time on subjects that are unlikely to appear on the exam! When an area of law is highly tested, you should learn that particular portion of your subject-matter outline very well so you know the material inside and out. Check out JD Advising’s MEE Guide to learn how often each subject is tested, whether it is tested by itself or with another subject, what you should look out for when the subject is tested, and an overview of some of the highly tested MEE issues.
3. Practice Writing Answers to Essay Questions
One way to make the MEE more manageable is to make sure you adequately prepare to actually take the exam! Many students spend all of their time memorizing and learning material (which is no doubt important!) at the expense of spending time doing practice essays!
Be sure to practice writing out answers to MEE questions! This not only helps you get comfortable with writing answers to essay questions in a timed environment, but it also allows you to practice formatting questions in a way that’s easy for the grader to follow. Even more, writing MEE answers can help you improve your MBE scores for the seven overlapping subject areas. Practicing MEE questions is critical for issue-spotting and helps you become acquainted with how certain subjects appear on the bar exam.
As you practice MEE questions, be sure to spend time self-grading your answers. Self-grading is an active study technique that requires you to analyze your answer and write in what you missed. Self-grading can also be a valuable tool for filling in the gaps in your outlines.
Looking to Pass the Uniform Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- Bar Exam Crash Course and Mini Outlines for a helpful overview of the Uniform Bar Exam components
- MBE One-Sheets, MEE One-Sheets, MPT One-sheets —rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!