July 2018 Washington DC Bar Exam Pass Rate is 67%
On Friday, November 9 at 5:00 PM, Washington DC posted the list of applicants that passed the Washington DC bar exam. The Examiners also announced that the July 2018 Washington DC Bar Exam pass rate is 67%. 1140 of 1702 applicants passed the bar exam.
July 2018 Washington DC Bar Exam Pass Rate is 67%
You can compare this July’s pass rate as well as the results release date to past July pass rates below:
- July 2018 Friday, November 9 (67% pass rate, 1140/1702 takers)
- July 2017: Thursday, October 25 (72% pass rate, 800/1112 takers)
- July 2016: Tuesday, November 1 (62% pass rate (422/684 takers)
- July 2015: Thursday, October 15 (44% pass rate) (130/296 takers)
- July 2014: Friday, October 17 (33% pass rate) (87/264 takers)
- July 2013: Thursday, October 24 (47% pass rate) (115/247 takers)
- July 2012: Wednesday, October 31 (53% pass rate) (111/210 takers)
- July 2011: Thursday, October 27 (47% pass rate) (97/208 takers)
- July 2010: Monday, October 18 (41% pass rate) (97/237 takers)
You can see results are being released later and later as the number of applicants substantially increases. The number of applicants remained below 300 until July 2016, where it doubled to almost 700 takers. In July 2018, DC had double — almost triple — the number of bar exam takers as it did in July 2016, at 1702.
The number of applicants taking the DC bar exam has likely increased because DC is the only Uniform Bar Exam state that allows an applicant to transfer a portion of its score (e.g., a passing MBE or essay portion) to DC and only take the other portion that they still need to pass.
DC also has a relatively expected pass rate — 67% is expected for a July bar exam, and is in line with other UBE states. (On the other hand, given that DC likely has a lot of repeat takers, this pass rate is probably a bit higher than it statistically should be.)
What if I failed the Washington DC Bar Exam?
If you failed the Washington DC Bar Exam, we are very sorry! It can be very difficult to work so hard for something and then not see it come to fruition. You are not alone if you failed. Please take some time for yourself before coming up with a game plan. Also, note that Washington DC does not regrade essays or allow appeals–so even if you were close to passing, you will have to retake the exam.
When you are ready to come up with a plan, we have some free resources as well as some excellent resources you can pay for. We list both below.
However, one thing you should make a note of doing relatively soon is to study your score report and review your essay exam. The DC Board says: Individuals whose names do not appear on this list should be aware that pursuant to D.C. App. Rule 46(c)(l2), they are entitled to an opportunity to review their essay papers. This post-examination review will be held on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at the D.C. Court of Appeals, located at 430 E Street NW, Washington D.C. Should you choose to participate in the review, you must notify the Committee’s staff on or before Friday, December 14th in writing by sending an email to conidcupeuIsw. Write “Essay review” in the subject line of the email.
Free Resources for Washington DC Bar Exam Takers:
- We have a detailed guide on what to do if you failed the Uniform Bar Exam here. It is invaluable and will give you some much-needed guidance.
- How to pass the bar exam the second time around: 5 things to do differently.
- I failed the bar exam twice (or three times, or four or more times): Here is a step-by-step guide to getting out of this vicious cycle!
- Should I rewatch lectures if I fail the bar exam? Generally, the answer is no.
- How to tell your boss you failed the bar exam: What to say and what not to say.
- What happens if I work at a big law firm and fail the bar?
- Lastly, check out our very popular note to those who failed the bar exam, quotes for those who failed the bar exam, and a list of famous people that failed the bar exam — you are not alone!
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
Free or discounted resources
- A five-star UBE course (for as low as $1399.99!) that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and questions. Preview our course for free here!
- Our new Free Bar Exam Resource Center, which includes our most popular free guides, posts, webinars, and more!
- Free popular bar exam guides (on the MBE, MEE, how to pass the bar exam, and what to do if you failed the bar exam) written by bar exam experts!
- A free Early Bar Prep Course for law students
- Free bar exam webinars taught by top bar exam experts
Our most POPULAR and highly rated bar exam resources are:
- Our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring by bar exam experts
- Bar Exam Crash Course and Mini Outlines for a helpful overview of the Uniform Bar Exam components
- MBE One-Sheets, MEE One-Sheets, MPT One-sheets CA One-Sheets—rated five stars! Our customers love these supplements!
- Real MBE questions—the best practice questions available!
- NEW! Mastery Classes for the MBE, MEE, and CA bar exams (these are effective and engaging classes to review the highly tested areas of law!)